Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ADMIN - POST AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCMENT PLESE
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
frsacom
Admin, what is wrong with taking 3 minutes of your time and adding an ANNOUNCEMENT at the top of this board?

When I filed my support ticket, I was promptly responded back with the goings ons. THANK YOU!

But why not, let EVERYONE know? It is alright cuz stuff happens.

In any case, Folks I was told by a support person that they suffered a Distributed Denial of Service (Ddos) attack and they were modifying the firewall.

This is what I was told 4 hours ago.

There you are...
Bluefin221
Agreed 100% I already said that I couldn't submit a support ticket as it keeps logging me out.

6 hours later and my server is still down, this is a disgrace not to have any information on whats actually happening.

365 days in a year 0.01 downtime = 3.65 hours of downtime. Hostony have blown the lot in an entire day. My presumption from this is that I won't have any downtime until 09-11-05, this is unlikely as I suffer downtime every single week. Aswell as very slow connection time along with many visitors to my site who continue to complain to me.

I try to be patient with Hostony as they are generally pretty helpful and prompt but this is just ridiculous.

How many others are affected by this?
artrocity
I sympathize with you and dont want to start a flame war
but wink.gif your math is a bit off rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Bluefin221 @ Nov 8 2004, 08:05 PM)
365 days in a year 0.01 downtime = 3.65 hours of downtime

That should be 3.65 DAYS a year.
with each day containing 24hrs
So that means you are guaranteed 87.5 hours of downtime a year !
Rastus
QUOTE(Bluefin221 @ Nov 8 2004, 06:05 PM)
How many others are affected by this?

I am, and I am unsure how long my site has been down. I was out most of the day sad.gif

Thanks Bluefin221 for letting me know WHY it is down, the only response I got was "it must be up in 1.5 hrs, We are working at this problem now" and that was over 2 hrs ago
Bluefin221
QUOTE(artrocity @ Nov 9 2004, 12:28 AM)
I sympathize with you and dont want to start a flame war
but  wink.gif  your math is a bit off  rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Bluefin221 @ Nov 8 2004, 08:05 PM)
365 days in a year 0.01 downtime = 3.65 hours of downtime

That should be 3.65 DAYS a year.
with each day containing 24hrs
So that means you are guaranteed 87.5 hours of downtime a year !

Yeah well off, doesn't get away from the fact that I've had far more downtime than that since I joined hostony. You have actually calculated at 1% but its 0.01 % which would tally at 8.76 total for the year.
flickerfly
All my sites managed by WHM seem to be down and have been all day from what I can tell. Wonder who specifically was getting DOS'd, hope someone didn't get a little upset over some comment on my blog. That post about getting a per penguin seems like a pretty hot item, but nothing to get upset over. Maybe they just don't like my linux distro of choice... Gentoo!

Note: This is merely fun speculation do to the lack of information.

Anyone have any new news? Doesn't seem like the entire Hostony staff needs to be working on this.
Bluefin221
QUOTE(flickerfly @ Nov 9 2004, 12:58 AM)
All my sites managed by WHM seem to be down and have been all day from what I can tell. Wonder who specifically was getting DOS'd, hope someone didn't get a little upset over some comment on my blog. That post about getting a per penguin seems like a pretty hot item, but nothing to get upset over. Maybe they just don't like my linux distro of choice... Gentoo!

Note: This is merely fun speculation do to the lack of information.

Anyone have any new news? Doesn't seem like the entire Hostony staff needs to be working on this.

Told at 12:53am (GMT) that it would be back within 1 hour. Pretty straight forward response. My only hope now is that no information has been lost on my server.
Rastus
from Slavik

"It will be up soon. It is running e2fsck now"
flickerfly
At 12:57 (HOSTONY support time, GMT I guess): I got "we're modifying the firewall".

What does e2fsck have to do with a DDos attack? I guess they are not only getting attacked, but their firewall computer crashed hard under the stress of it? Doesn't sound like much fun.
flickerfly
Or was it our server that crashed... Ohh... Yeah, that could be a real mess.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here