Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ITT we Ask WHY ASP!?
Hostony Board > General > Anything and Everything
JasonJones
Ok, so seriously now... Why ASP?

I have looked hard and wide for a distint reason to use ASP over PHP and have not found a one. Yet why do people use it? Its not like it was included with their PC, so they are just going with the flow (internet explorer) they had to learn it. Much like someone learning PHP.

First off, speed and memory usage is better in PHP, this may account for all the posts dragging up the old "frequent unavailability of ASP" thread (please stop dragging up that old thread already!) I think that hostony is packing people on the windows servers as if they were on unix servers, but you cant do that, ASP takes up too many resouces, the boxes would have to be massive CPU/Memory beasts to handle the same amount of Unix/PHP users. The problem is the boxes are not able to support the amount of users on them due to ASP's weak efficency.

Sure ASP has better OOP, but the big trade off with that is speed. PHP5 uses better OOP and is still faster than ASP, so full use of OOP is on its way to PHP in the near future when PHP5 becomes the standard.

Errorhandling, well, PHP doesnt do it well at all, you have to tell it what to do when it encounters an error, this forces people to code properly, and write exceptions into their code. ASP has exceptions built in, again a sacrafice is speed. PHP5 has it, while still keeping its speed.

And lest not forget that ASP runs on IIS and Windows... Wow, I don't think I need to elaborate much here, Holes, exploits, worms, hacks... lions, tigers, and bears OH MY!

So, post your comments for or against PHP/ASP.... I'd like to know.

Jason
aaa
what are you a freakin' knowitall??????? blink.gif
JasonJones
If you don't understand the post, feel free to pass over it and not comment...
There are lots of easier to follow posts on this site, check in the Windows/helm section for a topic called "Frequent unavailability of ASP", lots of easy to follow, small words there...

Still don't understand? ok..

LOOK ITS BARNEY!!! ok now that I got your full attention, the bigger kids play here, and you should keep your toys and self in the little tykes area where everything is padded and colorful so you wont hurt yourself. Be off now, nappy time is in 10min.

If you have something constructive to add, please do.

Jason
Danimal
I think that everyone will agree that there's absolutely no benefit to ASP, and practically nothing but bad about hosting on Windows in the first place.

BUT... I gots Winders on mah compooter! So I should put mah websiterthingy on it too!

That's your typical line of reasoning. It's the same line of reasoning that keeps people using AOL even after the free trial ends and everyone knows it's terrible. It's already there, so I must use it. Even though, as you point out, ASP requires some level of learning, there's also lots of software that "help" you learn it. And again, it's on Windows, and people know Windows. They don't know nuthin' about that thar Unix stuff!
kanasta
UNIX is simply too hard for some people to learn. Especially since they don't seem to put out too much software for Windows users. When a clueless person goes to a shop to ask about Web developing, the clueless shop assistant is inevitably going to recommend a Microsoft product to them. What can you do?

for example, if you are coding in php, what do you do when you need to look up syntax or something? There is no help. You have to go to look up the documentation on the website, which is generally well organised into categories if you are a librarian, but kind of annoying for normal people to search through. smile.gif

until some people decide making things like documentation is fun,nothing is going to happen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here