Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: server time zone not set correctly
Hostony Board > General Support > Mail
blackburnrovers
the time zone on server8.fastbighost.com is set to PDT but the server is located in EDT(Atlanta, GA, USA). i opened a trouble ticket, but haven't received any e-mails on it. can this be fixed to EDT -0400? please let us know. thanks.
Alec
"America/New_York" is timezone on that server.

There are many users on the server so we don't change timezone on it.
blackburnrovers
America/New_York is the correct time zone, but if you ssh to that server, and you type "date" at the prompt, you will notice you get the time in PDT which is America/California time, not New_York time. that is why the clock is 3 hours behind New_York time. somewhere the time zone is not set to America/New_York, and needs to be corrected.
Serge
Sorry, but there is no need for timezone correction. PDT time is a system time we had on the very first server and all our interserver data exchange, backups and monitoring is build around that timezone and need it to remain PDT for the shell in order not to lose server coordination.

We had customers from all around the world and each customer want to see server showing his local time. We just cannot convince everyone.
But it is completely not a problem because bothe shell and programming languages like perl, php, etc. allow you to get time in timezone you need regardless of the system timezone.

So to get time in EDT on ANY linux box you should type the following line in command prompt:

date -u -d '-4 hours' +"%Y-%m-%d %T EDT"
blackburnrovers
thanks for the info serge. i know every customer would like their own time zone, i just thought that since the server was in EDT time zone that it's time was supposed to be in EDT.

i see how to use the command to get an EDT time on the linux shell. do you know how to configure linux's sendmail utility to make the postmark on EDT time? i need this so that when i send mail using pine, it gets the EDT postmark.
Serge
Isee your point, but I doesn't see other way to force pine to put EDT time than reconfiguring a whole shell to EDT sad.gif

Actually time set in email is set with zone offset, so some itelligent mail clients easily recalculate time message was sent to the clients locale.

We are using the_bat ww.ritlabs.com and never had problems with time zone offsets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here