Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: phpbb vs. invisionboard vs. vbullettin
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
arammid
phpbb vs. invisionboard vs. vbullettin

What's your opinions?

I need help deciding which one...
JasonJones
phpBB is awesome, works well, very well USED so you know its been put thru the ringer as far as security and stability...

Invision is probably the most "professional" of the lot... Problem is that comes with a PRICE (ver2)... the others do not. It has a setting for EVERYTHING! If it doesnt have a setting for something, you can Create one!

Vbulletin, it has lots of features and is much like phpBB, its also been well used around the world... genmay is a good example of a HUGE vbulletin site..

I'd go with phpBB if I were you. I Think in the long term IVB is the way to go for me. I've setup numerous comercial sites using phpBB and they are EXTREMELY happy with its end result, but being the control freak that I am, I like IVB... everything is tweakable... EVERYTHING.. phpBB is also tweakable, but the backend is not as complete as IVB..

Jason
MartinB
invisionboard is not GPL.

give a look to SMF 1.0 too (is the evolution of Yabb).

if i need choose, i think i will choose phpbb, but is only a PERSONAL opinion.
arammid
ok i guess im gonna choose phpbb then tongue.gif
JasonJones
Just to comment on Yabb...

I experimented with this BB years ago, when it was just starting out etc... it was extremely full of hackable exploits, caused MANY server issues... I kept testing with it for a while, and they never quite got a hold on all the exploits and holes.. from what I understand its better now, but what a crappy track record.. a LOT of hosts out there will NOT let you run yabb on their boxes, too much of a security risk...

At one point in YABB's history their OWN main website was OWNED for over 2 months, haha... They couldnt fix all the holes before people found them and would exploit them. They eventually had to take down their software for a while before re-releasing it... not a good sign sad.gif

Jason
MartinB
great info!
Dark Hedgehog
It doesn't matter "which" board you use.

PhpBB, I believe, is more for "experimental" and "fun" use.
It gives you the ability to do limited features, experimenting the "ways" of a messageboard/forum.

Invision Board is more on the "professional" seriously personal or business forum.
Either way, Invision Board is a security heavy forum, mostly why people prefer this one.
It gives you more than 72 options, enough to leave you on the forum for a few days tongue.gif.

VBulletin Board is more like Invision Board, just, many companies use it because of their low price rather than high price.
It is below average on terms competing with Invision Board, but, at the same time, it has quite some unique features.

It is really up to "you" to evaluate and decide which forum is best for you.

My advice is to test all three forums or every forum you find.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here