Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please help me decide.
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
Andy
Hello My name is Andy.

I'm currently in search of a Webhost. I've searched ALOT. And I mean ALOT. Countless hours of Googling and so on, UNTILL I finally googled this forum "www.webhostingtalk.com" And saw many cool Hosts.

Currently I had about Top 10 to choose from.
It then broke down to 3 after like 4 hours of deciding.( Yeah I'm poor sad.gif )
Then I finally picked Two hosts..........And looked over everything and almost all was the same, But what I noticed, is that Hostony had alot more space available.

So now My number one choice is www.hostony.com

So I am considering this hosting VERY Much but I really need some questions to be answered if possible.

PS: I Am a newbie so please dont be offended, or humored, or whatever, because I really DONT Know this stuff.

~!~!~!~Questions~!~!~!~

1. Can I pay through paypal, and when I pay every month Because I don't wanna pay lots of money right away, I want to pay monthly, So if I pay monthly, Will I simply have to send Money through paypal every month to a specific email?

2. Are the servers good quality and are the uptimes ok?

3. Can I have my own phpbb forum where I am admin and not someone else.

4.About the free domain...How does it work, Like do I have some control panel for it or something and is it better to get the FREE Domain from HOStony instead of ordering one on lets say godaddy.com

5. What is the Free script install??

6. Are the prices in USA Dollars or in CANADIAN dollars. (I'm in Canada)

7. Whats better LINUX or WINDOWS. I wanna have phpbb so whats better?

8. Isn't cpanel 9.2 older then Like i saw on some hosts that have 9.9?

9. Can I have a banner free website, and not have to advertise hostony like on top or whatever, cuz i just wanna have like a little hostony button and not big banners like geocities.

ONCE AGAIN, IM EXTREMELY sorry for the "newbieness" sad.gif I hope you will help me sad.gif
JasonJones
I did the same and had poor hosting in the past, so far hostony is Good... Lets address some of your questions:

1) They do take paypal as a form of payment, you might want to consider paying in 3 or 6 month blocks though, it does save you a bit of cash...

2) The servers are quick and uptimes so far are as advertised.. 99% up

3) Yep, sure can have your own forum, nobody else is the admin, its YOURS.

4) Same as ordering if from godaddy, just free..

5) They will assist you in installing scripts if you have problems

6) US Dollars...

7) Heh, Baited question.. If you NEED ASP (nobody needs it) you need Windows... *nix accounts have the most "options" available to them. Go with the linux account.

8) My current version of Cpanel here is 9.4.1-STABLE 65. Yes its Older... But I dont think you will notice anything different about it, its still version 9, most all the changes are behind the scenes... Although I will ask WHY is it the old version (Eh? Hostony, how bout it??)

9) There are no banners, advertisements, nothing showing that hostony is there... It is just www.yoursite.com no ads, pop ups, meta tags etc.. nothing...

Jason
arammid
WOW hostony here i come...lol when i get my paycheck on friday im transferring funds to my paypal....then i will have to wait 6-8 days for the funds to arrive, and then BAM...HOSTONY here i come

Thanks for the help....

MY own forum WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ok...ok........

Thanks for helping, btw im now registered under AramMid.
Well see you in about 6-8 days HOSTONY biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

In the meantime i will be hard at work with DREAMWEAVER MX 2004 making a site.....btw can i use this (CSS) thing in HOSTONY "PROFI" package.?
arammid
Sorry for double post but Just another question...

Is the "PROFI" plan good enough for a simple one domain website with a forum?
JasonJones
Yeah, the profi account should be fine for your forum... For just a bit more though you can almost double the specs by going with the special plan.. just not available month to month, gotta pay the 6months...

Jason
arammid
Ok awesome, btw can i use CSS from dreamweaver?
JasonJones
Heh, yeah, there is no restrictions on the type of webpage editor you use...

Most sites today use some form of CSS..

Jason
arammid
oh wow i am l33t...nono i am super l33t...ononoNOO i am ULTRA l33t

O I AM GOOD

I AM SO GOOD

....o sorry...lol i was talking to myself...im so proud of my website so far on dreamweaver it looks so damn good....and i mean GOOD!!!

lol well its my first website so good to me may be probably "######s" to you...lol but im so proud i just had to say hehe.....i cant wait for the money from my bank to transfer to paypal so i can get my hosting yay...lol

6-8 days lol aww sad.gif
Vanya
Congratulations! =)
arammid
Hehe thank you.
On my paypal it said that the money should be in by the 22nd sad.gif lol so next friday....Right when i get it ill take instructions on how to pay through paypal smile.gif YAY! Me so Happy! I hope HOSTONY is good biggrin.gif cuz they look great.....but you know what they say about things that look TOO-GOOD-TO-BE-TRUE like hostony, they look great, is it really great? blink.gif lol im sure it is smile.gif
arammid
oh no......my website is not even 10% done yet and its already 250 Kilobytes....is that bad??
MartinB
try optimizing your images
arammid
No no images lol.......i have alot of pages...and a very nice template...now all pages are done and all i got to do is add the information....

its 480 Kilobytes, and 75% done smile.gif
MartinB
ok, is not sooo critical.

is the thing with dreamweaver, the generation of a lot of unnecesary code.
arammid
yes its in dream weaver...i can post a screenshot if u wanna see.....but first i need a promise that you wont LAUGh at my...."FIRST" ever made website.....with no knowledge of coding WHATSOEVER.....im starting to understand some html though hehe....like how to make bold and italics haha <b> and <i> hehe lol...okok....anyways promise u wont laugh sad.gif
MartinB
come on guy, i never wont laugh about your work !
show it to us if you want constructive critics of the forum's members wink.gif
arammid
arammid
There it is....be nice sad.gif .....What can i improve....?
MartinB
man, is not a "first newbie's webpage", you are going in a good road, i think.

maybe the color's palette is not so modern, but it's very homogeneous.

good work.

ps: you are using some CMS system ? give a look to Mambo Open Source, or PHP NUke, the most work is already done, you don't need to remake the wheel if you want a default information-community website.
arammid
I will be adding phpbb 2.0.10 once i am done smile.gif and have my hosting set up next friday
Webslave

its 480 Kilobytes, and 75% done
Don't worry about your webspace, you'll have Gigabytes in your account. 480 Kilobytes, that's not even 1 MB. But if your index.htm or .php page is that big, that's not good. Keep your index page around 45 KB. It's not a must ofcourse.

About your layoute, maybe you could make those links in your left navigation smaller so that they fit on one line. This can be done with CSS.

Here:

.verdana001 {
font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 10px;
font-style: normal;
}

You have to copy this into your css file. For example design.css

In your HTML source code, go to the <HEAD></HEAD
part and parse this if it ain't already there:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="design.css">

This is done to attach the css file to your page.

Ok.

Now, there, where your link is, in its <td></td>
you put this:

<td class="verdana001">YOUR LINK</td>

Play around. When you have questions, ask.

@mblendiger
ok, is not sooo critical.

is the thing with dreamweaver, the generation of a lot of unnecesary code.

Dreamweaver is good. Frontpage used to make lots of unecessary code. But maybe you
had in mind the new style of making sites with just <Div> tags and CSS without any TDs ?
This ofcourse has to be handcoded smile.gif - and way to far fetched for newbies. But it's coming!

And MAMBO is getting very popular as well.

Greetz,

W.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here