Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PHP 5 install
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
cooler
When HOSTONY planning install PHP 5 and planning whether generally ? Thank you.
JasonJones
This has actually been asked a couple times already.. but of course the search function wont let you search a small subject like php5.. so anyways.. I think the official response was its not planned.

http://forum.hostony.com/index.php?showtopic=2761 (located in the php forum)

Most all hosting companies are running the latest 4x install of php, not 5. In a non critical environment with specialized apps, php5 is nice, but in a hosting environment, we still need 4...

So I guess the answer is really a question of WHY do you need php5 ?

Jason
MartinB
just a Q: maybe exist a way for run both php4 and php5 in one server ? i think I had heared something like this (sorry my f****** english...)....i'm just curious about that smile.gif
JasonJones
Not reliably in a mission critical environment...

You can do wonders in a situation where breaking a service wont be much of an issue, but when it comes down to stability, Security and keeping the posts of "My site is down" to a minimum, running an experimental setup like 2 versions of php would be unwise...

Now if you wanted to run php5, you could run a dedicated server. Hell I'd I'd offer to admin it for you free of charge! ... Run FreeBSD 5.2.1 on a TIGHT & Tiny Kernel, Apace 2x, PHP 5, and all the other Bleeding Edge apps. It would be a popular hosting platform for quite a few techheads, but stability & security would always be a question and problem... You would constantly be fighting off exploits, bugs, and crashes...

Jason
MartinB
yes i think you're right.
cooler
QUOTE(JasonJones @ Oct 13 2004, 08:33 PM)
This has actually been asked a couple times already.. but of course the search function wont let you search a small subject like php5.. so anyways.. I think the official response was its not planned.

http://forum.hostony.com/index.php?showtopic=2761 (located in the php forum)

Most all hosting companies are running the latest 4x install of php, not 5. In a non critical environment with specialized apps, php5 is nice, but in a hosting environment, we still need 4...

So I guess the answer is really a question of WHY do you need php5 ?

Jason

PHP5 benefits:
- Exceptions support,
- PHP5 passes object by reference instead of copying objects data,
- better performance of ZendEngine,
- support for abstract classes, methods,
- support private, protected, public class members,
- support of interfaces,
- support of type hints

That's all smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here