Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I don't know how to get started...
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
jisodic
Can someone explain to me what this means?:

"Before your domain name is fully functional, you can use our server
main IP 67.15.111.3 to access it via ftp to upload and setup your
site.

Please, note when you first login to the server via ftp you are put in
user web folder by default. To get to your domain main web folder
you have to make the following command:

cd public_html"
JasonJones
Ok, DNS (Domain Name Service) takes a few days at times to popagate (go to all rootservers) so you may not be able to access your website by typing in "www.yoursite.com" for a day or two. So to upload your website via FTP (program you need to upload your website) you can use the IP address they gave you in the "address" field of your FTP program. I'd suggest something like CuteFTP as a good program for uploading/updating your site... When you log into the server using the IP and your username/password you will see some folders. Double click on "www" or "public_html" ... they are both the same, "www" is an alias for "public_html". .. The place you are now is the "Root" of your webspace... This is where you put files.. So you can upload index.html or index.php or index.asp or index.html-ssi etc into your Root folder. Once uploaded you can see it when you type in www.yoursite.com (if dns hasnt propagated yet, try 67.15.111.3/~yourusername) and you should see your website you uploaded... The cgi-bin folder is a special web folder for executable programs such as perl (.pl) or other scripts (CGI) ... You can create folders in the Root to help Organize your site etc like "images" or "downloads" etc...

Jason Jones
jisodic
when i try to access my website via ftp, they ask me for a passored and a username, but i can never access it, i do not know what is wrong.
JasonJones
You need to enter the username / password you were given in the activation email. so if your username is jisodic and they gave you a password of dfE23Fee then you would enter those...

Jason
Alec
Is passive mode on in your ftp client program?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here