Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: addon domains/publishing
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
4jewelrylovers
I posted thisn under the how to, and I think I should have posted it here, apologies.

Hi, I'm new to Hostony, but I have been managing my websites since 1996. I us MSFronPage (I know I should have used dreamweaver. I wasn't so wise back then) Normally my accounts were all set up by my hosts. So I'm new to this part of website management. I'm sure my problems are due to lack of knowlege on my part.

I have two problems possibly three depending on how we resolve them.

1. I have uploaded my first site to the main domain. It apears to be working properly except for the active server pages. I cannot get the database results to work properly. I have installed the FP server extensions so I don't know what else to do.

2. I have also added another domain for my second website. I used the same dns pointing as I did for my main site, question should it be different and if so where do I find this information?

3. I do not seem to be able to publish to the addon domain. I have tried to publish to the subdomain but it keeps telling me that a web doesn't exist there. Do I need to create an address and then publish? Since I already changed the dns pointing a few days ago I thought I could just publish to the url like always.

my domains are
www.4jewelrylovers.com
www.4silverlovers.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Candace
mysteryminds
Hello 4jewelrylovers ! welcome to HOSTONY the most promising hosting company over the net I feel. You did the best thing in your whole life by selecting.

Well i feel that you are doing some thing wrong in pointing the dns to the server.

First of all did you buy the special account or the single domain hosting account.

If Special account:

I presume it should be like this
a. You set up the dns pointing the settings e.g dns.hotony.com and dns.hostony.org
b. add the addon domain name including www (e.g www.domainname.com)
c. check for the ftp stuff and so on.

Voilla! thats simple. Well its for me coz I'm having 2 special accounts hosting more than 20 domains but LINUX stuff and I guess Windows should be more easier. Well I know MS ######s sometimes but thats what you have selected.

Lemme know if this solves your problem.
ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif
4jewelrylovers
I removed and readded the addon domain, making sure to add the www. preface and I still can't publish. It will not accept the password I used.
So I'm still doing something wrong.

Thanks Candace
4jewelrylovers
ok, I finally figured out the publishing dilema, for others who are having the same problem:

if you look in your public_html folder (you can access this through the cp file manager) after you have added your domain, you will see a folder with that user name, ie.

for domain addition
www.mydomain.com

you choose a user name of bob and a password of smile
in you public_html folder you will see a folder called bob

I was able to publish to this folder by using this address:
maindomain.com/bob

if you have the special package you need to be sure change/add the pointing for each domain to the servers listed in your welcome/setup email. You do this with whom ever you have registered you domains with. ie network solutions ect.

when you create the addon domain through the cp- hostony will configure their side of the dns pointing to the folder containing the addon domain.

I still have the problem of the database results regions not working on my asp pages of my website. I don't know if I should open a new thread on this issue.

It could be the Hostony needs to upgrade my server extensions be cause it takes specific ones to use this part of MS functionality. Any suggestions?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here