Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: myphpadmin access
Hostony Board > General Support > PHP/MySQL
depewwil
Is there a way to allow other people to access phpmyadmin without having to go through Cpanel. I tried setting up a user w/ sufficient editing privs, but when you go to access the phpmyadmin URL, it wants you to 1st login to CPanelX....

I want people to just be able to go direct into PHPmyadmin and thus have the limited access I granted that user. I can do this locally on my powerbook, but that doesn't help me cause my powerbook isn't connected always and, additionally, isn't accessing the hostony mysql servers (yeah, I know you can setup to do so, don't want to, cause then I'd have to leave it on all the time).

-Scott, hoping he's being descriptive enough..

depewwildcats.com admin
Stanly
Sorry, but unfortunately there is no such feature at Linux servers.
depewwil
I don't understand how the operating system has anything to do with it. The powerbook is bsd, but its just php and apache.
Stanly
You didn't understand me smile.gif
There is such feature at Windows based hosting accounts. I meant that there is no the same thing at control panel for Linux.
depewwil
That makes more sense. When will this feature be added? Definitely needed.
Stanly
Sorry, but we don't currently plan to add it to Linux hosting.
depewwil
Any particular reason(s)? Security, pain in the rump, etc?
Stanly
CPanel is a 3rd party product and we can't just simply add something to it.
depewwil
But phpmyadmin isn't the same thing as cpanel, its separate. Guess I'm not understanding how the authentication model is vis-a-vis Cpanel and how it 'protects' phpmyadmin sitting behind it (well, to me, it seems its sitting behind it).

Could I install phpmyadmin w/n my public_html and give people access that way? Would that work (and, would that be allowed?)
Stanly
It is allowed but we can't guarantee that it will work.
Anyhow you can try.
depewwil
Never any gaurantees, thanks...

Worked flawlessly w/o incident... ok, I forgot to change from config auth type to http, but, all the same, that was a bone headed mistake.

Thanks stanly....
MartinB
if you make it work, please notify me ?
thanks a lot wink.gif
depewwil
sent mblendinger a PM with a response to his question, but someone else might want to know, so....

just upload the files to a folder (i used phpmyadmin). Go into the config.inc.php and change the authorization type from the default 'config' to 'http'

You have to go into Cpanel and create users, btw. And the users are prepended be the cpanel login, for example, cpanelusrnm_mysqluser. Passwords are as expected.

Very easy. Permissions are enforced, everything.

-Scott, depewwildcats.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here