Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to host web in one server and mail in other
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
MartinB
Hello:

My client have their own Web and Mail server (an Exchange and an IIS)

He want have the control of the mail, but he want host the website in another server.

Can i offer it ? Can he have the emails management with his server and host only the website with an account hosted by 'me' (hostony) ?

and if i can, how can i/he do it and what i need ?

thanks! i will apreciate a fast response ! smile.gif
supergodoffunk
Yes, you just need to register the domain with a domain registering service, and in their control panel, make sure they allow you to point the MX records seperatly.

also, if you search the net, there are other DNS services where they have you point the Domain to them, then point your domain from them to the web host. Then, you can use that intermediary service to point the MX record to your client's mail server.

Or... If hostony support it. Point the domain to your package, then in some kind of control/admin panel provided, point the MX record to your client.

MX record = Mail Exchange record.

Good luck.
MartinB
yes i think i will use your last option, in my CPanel i see in the Mail Section, an option for change MX records... i think it will be the solution.... thanks dude wink.gif
Stanly
He will be able to manage mail at it own server, but files will be located at ours.
MartinB
i think i don't understand it well...
please can you explain me how will it work exactly ?
thanks stanly

and i have another idea, what if he host the mail, and the dns of the domain name point to their server, but only WEB service is redirected to the hostony's server? (the inverse of previous configuration...)
romangs
zoneedit.com
will help you out. It's free for up to 5 domains. You can redirect mail trafic to one locationa when all the rest goes to anohter. You can even setup subdomains pointing to different IPs.
syljms
Another site that provides you such facility is www.sitelutions.com.

Besides many registrars like Enom, Netsol etc offer this facility. You
may check up with the Registrar through whom you had registered
your domain name.

However having one Server to process your mails and another for
website may have some problems if you are using form2mail
for sending contents of a form like feeback form by email ! Consult
your hosting company in such cases
MartinB
nah i use PHP's Mail function for sending forms to emails, no problems with it.

Thanks for the Tips! i will check all them now!

Hostony: No way for doing that without another service like the above recomendations ?
supergodoffunk
mblendinger,

Are you on the linux plan? if so...

In the CPanel,

goto "Mail",
then "Modify Mail Exchanger (MX Entry)"

then you can selec the domain, to change the MX record for.

However... it looks like you can do it only for another domain setup. almost looks like forwarding, and you can't set it to an IP. Which means, if you have:

Client.com, then you have to have clinet.com to another registered domain name, like clientmail.com. This means you have to register another domain name just to do the mail part, which will give you undesirable results... ie. Reverse lookups will not point to your original domain.

This may sound confusing, but I hope it helps. My suggestion... Go check with the company/website/management interface of which you have you domain registered with. There should be an option on the management interface of the web registar to point the MX record to another IP. This will be the cleanest method... Once again, good luck.
MartinB
yes i will try this, thanks again supergodoffunk wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here