Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHMOD how to ?
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
rafy.net
How can I CHMOD some of my folders and files?

I've tried to use FlashFXP but all I get is
CODE
SITE CHMOD 777 dummy.txt
500 'SITE CHMOD 777 dummy.txt': command not understood

I tried to look for an option that will do it in the HELM Pannel .. but couldn't find it.
Do I need Shell access to do it ?
If so how do I get into the shell ?

Thanks for all your HELP and Patience ph34r.gif
Vanya
There isn't chmod command on windows platform. Win uses ACL.
There is no shell as well.
rafy.net
QUOTE(Vanya @ Sep 2 2004, 12:41 AM)
There isn't chmod command on windows platform. Win uses ACL.
There is no shell as well.

ACL ?

Can you tell me how to use that to change permissions to my www folders ?
rafy.net
I'm trying to install Coppermine Gallery Script. It's a php script that needs a few specific folder permissions.

http://rafy.net/cpg ---everything in it--- read and execute
http://rafy.net/cpg/albums ---everything in it--- read write and execute
http://rafy.net/cpg/include ---everything in it--- read write and execute

Is there any way i can maintain my own folder/file permissions while being hosted on the Windows 2003 server?
supergodoffunk
Let me take a guess here... since I don't know the specifics...

Even though it's a windows account, is the web server IIS or Apache? I don't even know if that matters or not.

I've never tried it, but if you logon to your site with an FTP client (I use cuteftp), I'm sure you can right click on the folders and files and still set unix style rights. The FTP server should emulate the file structure and translate it to equivalent ACL's...

Once again, I'm taking a guess.
rafy.net
QUOTE(supergodoffunk @ Sep 2 2004, 11:32 AM)
Let me take a guess here... since I don't know the specifics...

Even though it's a windows account, is the web server IIS or Apache?  I don't even know if that matters or not. 

I've never tried it, but if you logon to your site with an FTP client (I use cuteftp), I'm sure you can right click on the folders and files and still set unix style rights.  The FTP server should emulate the file structure and translate it to equivalent ACL's...

Once again, I'm taking a guess.

thank you for the tip ...

but I've tried changing the folder permissions with CuteFTP and FlashFXP by rightclicking on the folder and selecting the CHMOD command and they both report back with
CODE
[R] SITE CHMOD 755 /rafy.net/wwwroot/cpg
[R] [B]500 'SITE CHMOD 755 /rafy.net/wwwroot/cpg': command not understood[/B]

HELP HOSTONY ... how do I change the file and folder permissions inside my wwwroot folder ?
Danimal
DO you have any kind of File Manager in your CPanel (or whatever it's called on Windows)? Those will usually let you change the permissions of files or folders. Sorry, I don't have a Windows account either.
rafy.net
I have a file manager in my Control Panel, which by the way is called HELM on the windows side. It's a great file manager but one feature it doesn't have is to set (attributes/properties/chmod) on files and folders.
Stanly
As Ivan said there is no such feature at Windows as CHMOD.
You can ask us to set permissions for exact user at your account but there is no CHMOD.
bpgisme
In my cPanel you can go to file manager and and change it there.
You click the name of the file rather than the folder icon and then look in the menu to the right. There's a "change permissions" link there that opens the panel to change stuff from world or user or group, whatever. But mine's Linux. Still, wouldn't Windows cPanel work about the same way? (Not that I have a clue what I'm talking about....) smile.gif

-Bonnie
Dark Hedgehog
CpanelX is a Linux plan, not Windows.
I have never used a Windows hosting so I wouldn't know.
bpgisme
Oh! See, I told you guys I didn't know what I was talking about! biggrin.gif

(The ditsy woman has left the building......)
-Bonnie
rafy.net
QUOTE(Stanly @ Sep 2 2004, 04:47 PM)
As Ivan said there is no such feature at Windows as CHMOD.
You can ask us to set permissions for exact user at your account but there is no CHMOD.

wow ... this ######s ....

I can't believe there is no way for me to change permissions on my folders .... oh well sad.gif

can you tell me if the Unix hosting allow for asp pages ? maybe I should move my account to the Unix host instead of Windows ... It will probably make everyone's lifes easier ...
artrocity
sorry ! sad.gif
Hostony does not support ASP on their linux servers.

I wonder how much trouble it would be to convert asp-nuke to phpnuke or postnuke??
Dark Hedgehog
A tip for the future:

Plan before you buy
rafy.net
QUOTE(Dark Hedgehog @ Sep 2 2004, 06:54 PM)
A tip for the future:

Plan before you buy

Thanks Dark Hedgehog ... for the amazing tip ... blink.gif
MartinB
Thanks Dark Hedgehog ... for the amazing tip ...
biggrin.gif

Just ask support and he will set the permissions you need.

Anyways.... what r u trying to do ? for what you need set the permissions? may be exist some other solutions for your problem... tell us if you can.
rafy.net
well ... I'm setting up the Coppermine PHP gallery on my site. and one of the installation steps is to change the access rights to two folders, like this.

Step 3 - CHMOD the folders albums and include to 755 (or 777, depending on your server config) - this step is really important, don't skip it!
There are a lot of tutorials for beginners how to use chmod available: search chmod tutorials with google. If you're on a windows server, you'll have to set permissions accordingly as well (usually the webserver runs under the user name "IUSR_hostname" - you'll have to set rwx-permissions for this user).

the paths to these folders are as follows:

http://rafy.net/cpg/albums - set all to read write execute
and
http://rafy.net/cpg/include - set all to reqd write execute

could you guys in support set these up for me please, thank you.
Vanya
Done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here