Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Site either down or slow
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
jmholloway
I am finding that my site has been down about 50% of time (celticwarlordz.com) I attempt to access it the last several days. I put in trouble ticket, and a few minutes later it's back up. I get an answer from support that "it working now". I want an explanation for the downtime...I want a technician to look at the server logs and see if there was a problem, see if the services stopped, and if the server is overloaded. It being up now does not indicate that everything is fine...it's NOT.

Additionally, I run several tests at dnsstuff.com on website. The site gets horrible results. For example:

Looking up at ns18.hostony.net.... Reports 1 SOA record(s). 39ms.
Looking up at ns19.hostony.net.... Timed out.

Average of all 2 nameservers: 1527ms (plus 244ms overhead).

Score: F

Took off 20 points since ns18.hostony.net does not respond authoritatively (can cause unexpected responses and add delays).
Took off 2 points since ns18.hostony.net allows recursive lookups (if lots of people are using the server, it can slow down).
Took off 15 points for a nameserver timeout at ns19.hostony.net (causes lengthy delays and extra packets).
Took off 2 points since ns19.hostony.net allows recursive lookups (if lots of people are using the server, it can slow down).
Took off 25 points for >700ms average response time.

Note: The 244ms overhead is the time it takes to get your NS records from the parent servers, and indicates a worst-case scenario (normally, the resolving DNS server would have the common parent server entries cached, and would know the parent server(s) that were responding most quickly). The best times since the last time this web server was last restarted are: 13ms average response, plus 91ms overhead. Note that these times are from a server located in the United States; if most of the people using your DNS are outside of the United States, your actual results may be better than what is shown here. A rating of 'B' or higher is generally good. This tool is designed to make an educated guess about speed, and to point out potential factors that may reduce the DNS speed, and it is not perfect.

I would like a technician to look over the server, find out the problems, and fix if necessary (likely server overloaded). I have been told everytime it is inaccessible that it is because of backups. Do you backup ALL day on Sunday? Is it not possible to backup files LATE at night and on an OFF day. I would imagine that Sunday is a pretty busy day on the internet...I know it is the biggest day for my website access!
jmholloway
My site continues to be down and up....

http://www.celticwarlordz.com

All my users are having problems accessing the website all weekend....Here's an IRC log from just this morning:

2(121402:121902:124802) 02(02@[C]W[L][Greyman02) [18:20] <BiRcHy> anyone haveing probs on webby d/loading maps ?? d/loads a bit then just stops :/ <-- yes off the webby, goto 38% and stopped
02(121402:121902:125902) 02(02@[C]W[L][Greyman02) same with uploads to it gets so far than stop
02(121402:122102:121802) 02(02@[C]W[L][Ze02) webby is down am
02(121402:122102:122202) 02(02@[C]W[L][Ze02) atm
02(121402:122302:121302) 02(02@[C]W[L][Greyman02) been like that all weekend

Website not accessible, then accessible, then won't connect to email...then users start download and website stops the download.....ALL WEEKEND and it continues today!
Stanly
Try to choose one communication method - HelpDesk or forum. There is no need to post everywhere. smile.gif

Server is under DDoS attack and we're defencing it. As soon as this hell will be finished everything will get back to normal.
jmholloway
Well, I post everywhere in hopes I get an adequate response and to let others know of the problems going on...

I was told all weekend the "server was working now" whenever the technician responded and that the problem was the result of "routine backups". That's obviously not the case.....

If I receive answers that are responsive to my questions, I won't feel the need to vent publicly!

BTW, your answer is equally as non-responsive to the question and comments I posted as that I received all weekend. What is the reason for the poor DNSstuff.com tests results that I posted? (remember, these tests are from this weekend at various times)
Dark Hedgehog
QUOTE(jmholloway @ Aug 30 2004, 06:41 PM)
Well, I post everywhere in hopes I get an adequate response and to let others know of the problems going on...

I was told all weekend the "server was working now" whenever the technician responded and that the problem was the result of "routine backups".  That's obviously not the case.....

If I receive answers that are responsive to my questions, I won't feel the need to vent publicly!

BTW, your answer is equally as non-responsive to the question and comments I posted as that I received all weekend.  What is the reason for the poor DNSstuff.com tests results that I posted? (remember, these tests are from this weekend at various times)

Me and you are on the same boat buddy.

But it doesn't mean you need to say it everywhere.

Stanly is right, use the Helpdesk or forum, posting everywhere gets confusing, I would know.
I get art requests from my email and aol instant messenger.

Take the toll and just be patient, the servers are being defended.

Its not like everyone is using up the space.

Just give it some time.
They are working on it.
jmholloway
I posted 6 Help Desk problems this weekend....All reponses were "things look ok" and "it's routine backup" and the tickets were left on Hold. They didn't bother to look into my problem and fix it.

It's not until today when others with business-related sites or sites were examined that the real complaints started and Hostony took seriously. My users use my site over the weekend primarily and Hostony's response was crap imo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here