Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few pre-sales questions...
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
bobmonsour
Several questions:

1. Is there a limit on the size of each email mailbox?

2. Is there a limit on the size of an individual mail item that comes into a mailbox? or that can be sent through your SMTP severs? Note that I am not needing to send large numbers of email messages, but want to make sure that some of my clients who send the occasional photo (2 MB or so) will not have a problem sending them or receiving them into their mailbox.

3. Do you have any customers running blog software? specifically, do you support installation of Movable Type? (it appears from your feature set that it would be supported; it is a set of cgi scripts and possible use of a mySQL database).

That's it for now. I look forward to your reply.

Thanks.

-Bob
Michael Aivaliotis
I can't beleive I'm replying...

Anyway..., as far as Movable type. YES it is supported. They support Mysql and cgi so there is definitly no problem. I am presently transfering may account from another provider and bringing my MT over here, no problems yet.

Sorry, can't answer about email.
Alec
Thank you, Michael.

As for e-mail there are no restrictions on mailbox account but size of your mailboxes and databases is included to account total diskspace (350 MB for Profi package).

Size of uploaded file can be limited by mail or php settings on the server.
We can change these settings for you if you need.
siberious
To the Staffing Reply...

I have been looking for a new hosting comapny, and Hostony looked very good. I especially liked the blurb on your Hosting page that says E-mail boxes are *unmetered*, and do not count against your total alloted diskspace...

Then, I read the forum board, and I see that your answer to someone, about the very same topic, is that E-mail boxes *do* indeed have a limit, and collectively the amount of E-mails, or data for lack of a better term, cannot exceed the amount of diskspace on the plan.

So, which is it? Is E-mail indeed unmetered, or is there a hard limit collectively for mail in mailboxes, which cannot exceed the plan disk allotment?

Also, if there is a hard limit, you should change the E-mail blurb on the hosting plan comparison page...the way it reads, (actually, it says directly) is that E-mail boxes are unmetered and do not count against storage limits on disk per plan.
Serge
Siberious looks like you just mixed 2 terms. Unmetred doesn't mean unlimited.

Mailboxes are do limited with phisical space HDD has. Since we have about 20-30 Gb on HDD free for temporary tasks like backups, etc. So it should not be a big limit.

Unmetred means we do not monitor (meter) your mailbox size. However you do limit yourself when creating a mailbox you make a mailbox size you like. You can change that limit yourself when you need.

Term 'unmetred' generally means in hosting biz means that service doesn't have charged overuse and when you use more you are not billed. Though unmetred service can have phisical limits, etc.when unlimited means that there is no limit or service usage.
siberious
Sorry to seem like a royal pain in the backside, but I was all ready to whip out my credit card and try HOSTONY for one of my domains, until I looked at your webpage (with the little rollover mouse buttons that explains your terminology), then looked here (being the smart shopper that I am) and I see a post that is contradictory.

Honestly, all I want is the *right* answer, and quite simply, a yes or no answer. Does, as the following blurb says (its a direct cut and paste from the rollover button) E-mail indeed not count against total disk allotment.

Quote: "Email accounts are standard Internet mailboxes. You can access them with mail client program using POP3 or IMAP protocol. Space used by your mail accounts is not deducted from the disk space allocated to your plan and is unmetred."

See? It says that space used by the E-mail box is not deducted from the disk space alloted to plan. But, in a previous replay, a staffer from HOSTONY did say that E-mail *did* count against total disk space on plan.

Careful on how you answer this question, as it will determine one more customer coming aboard to use you guys as a host, and also spread the word around for other folks to use you as a host...may I suggest that a manager-level person handle this question if there is any doubt as to the information that was conatined in this message board string. :-)

Looking forward to seeing an answer that clears this up, and leads to a mutually beneficial business relationship. :-)
Anonymous
If this guy signs up he will cost you 10 times more than you will ever make from him. He has 10 problems and wants to speak to management and he hasn't even paid a dime yet. Let him become someone elses problem.
Serge
siberious
What i want to say in my previous post is that email is not count to the diskspace allocated to your plan, but it is not unlimited. Many people abuses terms unlimited and unmetred so we have some complaints from such users.

Also the second point I wanted to adress is the fact that you are limiting your mailbox yourself when creating it. You can change the limit of the mailbox yourself from the control panel.

Unmetred means that we don't say you anything when you are using 100 Mb for mail and 350 Mb for your files with Profi account (350 Mb plan). But if you are using 500 Mb just for mail with profi plan and we are short on diskspace we may ask you to make it smaller.

Generally the size of the mailbox metters only for users who use imp webmail. They may need to have a lot of mail in their mailboxes. As far as the biggest mailbox I ever saw was about 150 Mb.

Happy Camper
Answering customers questions is a part of our work otherwise we would not have any business. People are different. From some we don't hear any questions others are very active. It is normal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here