Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backup system needed
Hostony Board > General Support > Suggestions
jukeyard
This is the first time I have posted here. I have been with Hostony since last March. I see this area is for suggestions. Well mine is Hostony needs a back up system in place. My site and mail have been down for going on two days now. I can't see any exuse for this from a host. I can see down time a few minutes or maybe even a rare hour or so here and there but 2 days is just not acceptable. Yes I know you're are giving me an upgrade, (which I realy don't need) what I really need is dependability.. plain and simple. I know alot of people are probably going to jump ship here beacuse of this. We are considering it here to unless Hostony comes in and tells us they will put a backup system in within the next 30 days or so.
mysteryminds
I agree to you Jukeyard. Wonder this will teach a small lesson to Hostony. The other way round I guess they need to think over the cost of the server.

Well I've been waiting here in the forums for the whole day just expecting that things will be fine soon.

I'm sure Hostony will consider getting a back up
jukeyard
Well I would think the loss of customers they may get out of all this could equal the cost of leasing a new sever for backup.... then to Hostony must consider the feedback they may get in all these sites around where we can rate host performance and reliablility. I for one used these rateing when I switched host. Hostony looked good. I stayed away from, and would not even consider hosts that has alot of bad reviews. The internet is huge and compitition form hosting services is fierce. If a hosting provider can not offer reliablilty, then it is a matter of time that host will die. It's a snowball effect. Websites move, leave bad reviews, money income goes down, new sites considering hosts look elsewhere, less income means less money to improve servers and software updates a host ownes, and before you know it....... If Hostony wants to stay on top of there game they need to make things right and need to do it fast before much damage is done to their reputation.
Dark Hedgehog
From as my old host told me, which makes sense:

"Backups should be made on your own. You are paying for the space Hostony gives you. Its not their responsibility to make backups for you, its your own responsibility."

But its a nice idea, just up to Hostony to make the decision. wink.gif

But I always keep a backup incase something goes wrong. cool.gif
jukeyard
I was not refering to data back up but server back up. Hostony has our data backed up but they don't have a backup server to keep our sites online.
Dark Hedgehog
QUOTE(jukeyard @ Aug 19 2004, 10:02 PM)
I was not refering to data back up but server back up. Hostony has our data backed up but they don't have a backup server to keep our sites online.

Sorry about that.
I didn't know you were talking about that.

*Slowly exits*
supergodoffunk
Always being the neutral person I am...

I picked hostony because of their "special" package. I can't seem to find anything close. When I did, they didn't have the multiple domain support I wanted.

Anyways, everyone is out to make a buck, and working for free... ain't going to pay the mortgage. For 10$ a month, you will not find a better package. If you want RAID5, a hot back up load balanced cluster... well thats two servers, so now you pay 20 bucks a month. (well... bandwidth didn't double but... we can really do the math if you want).

In the end... expect to get what you paid for. IF Hostony is able offer the same space+bandwidth AND added redundancy... well then, it'll be just too perfect, and I'll be running down the street smacking strangers, telling them to host with HOSTONY.

Like I said, a neutral point of view... and no I have no ties to Hostony, they are just my hosting company for at least a year. If you want... check outwww.supergodoffunk.com.

The site should be up over the week end... still recoup'ing from the data loss... It'll run a blog engine... just a some vanity site. 'ohhh look at my pictures!'.
jukeyard
Not true I have RAID here on my personal computer. Raid controler card $49.00 80g ATA ultra HD $63.00 total $112.00. Very cheep for such protection. If one drive crashes just pull it out and away you go. I realize servers use SCSI so the cost may be a little more but not that much. And there are RAID supported hosting sites out there for less than $10 per month. I'm considering one right now 1200mb space and 50gb bandwidth with RAID in place.
supergodoffunk
I hear ya dude. If they supported multiple domains for that price, they might have been one of my choices. I figured I throw my family pictures site and a couple of others which dosen't ###### up bandwidth (at least not enough to pay sperate for each one) on it. which is what I'm doing.

At the same time... Thats probably HOSTONY's logic also, they looked for the most cost effective server hosting, which seemed to back fired on them this time.

Oddly enough, my specialization is SAN's, Clustering and geographical disastor recovery... Truest me, sky is the limit on the cost of DR.

Based on that dude Keitaro's math... No one is going to host you for free, or with out making a profit. Add these features, and the profit margin narrows, or the prices go up.

However... as time goes by, prices keeps on dropping, so in a year or so, this might be doable for 10 bucks.

Who knows... IT gives me a head ache...
Shortstuff
QUOTE(supergodoffunk @ Aug 20 2004, 03:07 PM)
Always being the neutral person I am...

I picked hostony because of their "special" package.  I can't seem to find anything close.  When I did, they didn't have the multiple domain support I wanted.

Anyways, everyone is out to make a buck, and working for free... ain't going to pay the mortgage.  For 10$ a month, you will not find a better package.  If you want RAID5, a hot back up load balanced cluster... well thats two servers, so now you pay 20 bucks a month.  (well... bandwidth didn't double but... we can really do the math if you want).

In the end...  expect to get what you paid for.  IF Hostony is able offer the same space+bandwidth AND added redundancy...  well then, it'll be just too perfect, and I'll be running down the street smacking strangers, telling them to host with HOSTONY.

Like I said, a neutral point of view...  and no I have no ties to Hostony, they are just my hosting company for at least a year.  If you want... check outwww.supergodoffunk.com.

The site should be up over the week end... still recoup'ing from the data loss...  It'll run a blog engine... just a some vanity site.  'ohhh look at my pictures!'.

Supergodoffunk!

I like your art! And where did you get the calendar? I'd like so use something like that on one of my sites!

www.fullerenterprises.net
www.sugarlandbiz.com
supergodoffunk
Supergodoffunk!

I like your art! And where did you get the calendar? I'd like so use something like that on one of my sites!

www.sugarlandbiz.com

Heh. Thanks. It's just a prepackaged php script. You can find it at plogoworld.org. The whole script is skinable, so I down loaded a skin and modified it a little bit. I was going to add some pictures and such, but I actually decided to go in another direction with it. I'm a big fan of the Invision forums, so I think I'm going to throw it up there with some mods... In the end, it'll end up doing the same thing as the current script and more. When, it's up... I will have to show you. I looked at your site, www.fullerenterprises.net, and you might be interested. It'll be a full integration.

Hopefully, I'll get to it today... I gotta go dig up the yard today...

Oh yea... in case you are wondering... I don't know HTML or PHP. Thats why I'm using the scripts. I'm kinda wing'ing it with my old school C++ knowledge. One day I hope to have the time to properly learn and understand...
Shortstuff
QUOTE(supergodoffunk @ Aug 22 2004, 07:12 AM)
Supergodoffunk!

www.sugarlandbiz.com

Heh. Thanks. It's just a prepackaged php script. You can find it at plogoworld.org. The whole is skinable, so I down loaded a skin and modified it a little bit. I was going to add some pictures and such, but I actually decided to go in another direction with it. I'm a big fan of the Invision forums, so I think I'm going to throw it up there with some mods... In the end, it'll end up doing the same thing as the current script and more. When, it's up... I will have to show you. I looked at your site, www.fullerenterprises.net, and you might be interested. It'll be a full integration.

Hopefully, I'll get to it today... I gotta go dig up the yard today...

Oh yea... in case you are wondering... I don't know HTML or PHP. Thats why I'm using the scripts. I'm kinda wing'ing it with my old school C++ knowledge. One day I hope to have the time to properly learn and understand...

Thanks! I've bookmarked it for later. As to learning code. Can you imagine how much time it would take to learn HTML, Php, Java, JavaScript, Visual Basic.....blah, blah.... unsure.gif who has the time!? I have enough books on code to fill the Smithsonian, but never seem to have the uninterrupted time needed to digest it all. Ahhhh, the days of Fortran and Cobal...life was much simpler then (but then there were no desktops computers either!).

Have fun with your yard!
supergodoffunk
heh. looks like we hijaked the thread. Sorry! continue on! we were talking about backup options. ph34r.gif
lepaul36
I can understand the logic with a hosting company should provide more backup. After I had my lost host company take my last payment then dissappear (left me searching to get my domain name back too) I have been happy. I have a response to my service questions within an hour most of the time. I keep a back up of everything on the site on my computer and other media (even though I know you are reffering to the server itself). I have been with Hostony for almost a year with no "real" complaints. I am also hosting asp.net wich has issues.

A funny thing is that many people don't even back up thier website. My feeling is this: Never trust anything that you can't hold...meaning have a hard coppy of you s**t. I even export the database every couple of days depending upon traffic.

I figure this...10 bucks I can deal with some problems that Hostony tries very hard to take care of in a timely manner. If that is an issue for my e-commerce site, then I can probably afford to get my own server and take matters into my own hands ( hope to do that well smile.gif ). This is still the best service I have recieved in the last 8 years and I have tried quite a few.
*P*Grass
yeah ive never heard or recieved anything about getting a account upgrade mad.gif
depewwil
Wow, this thread reads like one of those with cable modem customers who I use to support calling in (paying 39.95 a month) and saying:

Oh my gawd, you guys ######. I'm losing 5000$ each day I'm down! How dare you. I'm the most important person on earth. I don't care the agreement says no business applications, I'm the most important person on earth. I use this connection for day trading, I'm losing $5000 each day I'm down!

Man, under 100 bucks a year for what hostony.com is giving. If I want/need more, than, well, open up that wallet. Not perfect service, but when I want that, I'll bring it in house.

btw, the cheap equipment noted previously (I skimmed the post). If you use that it will crash. Done right, reliability is expensive, uptime is expensive. Try more like 500 for a carrier class RAID card, some 5000 for a good array with no drives or management software. Add another couple 1000 for drives that can run all day and night and full speed without falling or having little tiny data hiccups, then for good measure, add more for software management licenses.

Again, open up that wallet.

-Scott, waller closed, cause there isn't much in there....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here