Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linux or Windows?
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
bmwarner88
I know PHP and ASP and like both languages pretty equal. I have mostly done small web work and have never really made my own all out site. Is there any benefit to hosting on Linux or Windows besides what languages you can use? Does one work better for response time or anything? Also, why are the Windows servers so inexpensive here? Everywhere else I have looked they are always a few bucks higher than the Linux plans. Last question, how is the support here? I did not even see a phone number to call? Is this just why the price is lower? Let me know!!

Thanks!
Alec
The first difference that most people notice with Web hosting operating systems is how you access the server. Both Windows and Linux will offer FTP access to your files, but only Linux will generally offer telnet or ssh access. (It's possible to set up telnet access on Windows, but very few hosting administrators offer it.) FTP is a way of transferring your files from your hard drive to your Web server. Telnet or SSH are a way to open a window directly on the Web server and manipulate files right there, usually using Unix command line commands.

FrontPage extensions are often cited as the reason to use a Windows server. But there are Linux servers that offer this service as well.

If you're going to run a dynamically driven Web site, then you'll want a database. The two most popular are mySQL and Access. mySQL runs on both Linux and Windows, but is more often found on Linux servers. Access is only available for Windows.
bmwarner88
thanks!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here