Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: limiting access from IP addresses
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
bimmer4000
my site will feature (in the long run) hundreds of downloadable files. is it possible to prevent visitors from downloading a large number of files? with the use of download managers, one could download every file on the site with a single click and i would like to put a cap on the number of files one can download in one 24 hour period.
e.g. no more than 20 files per day or no more than 20 megs per day.can this be done?
"large" downloading visitors might make it impossible for more restrained visitors to access my site as well. is that technically correct?
Alexandre
You can protect these folder via your cpanel "Password protect directories"'.

You can protect directories within your site from browsers by using a password to protect them. This allows you to restrict material to only authorized users or store sensitive material online. This has the same appearance and effect as the password protection on CPanel
For some files you can also use HotLink Prevention. You can find this feature in your cpanel.

Hotlinking is when another web site owner links directly to one or more of your images or multimedia files and includes it on their web page.

Index Manager
The Index Manager enables you to control how directories on your web site are displayed. If there is no index.html in a particular directory, the contents of the directory will be displayed to the browser. This is usually undesirable and can cause security issues. You can set the four different options for any directory through the Index Manager:
bimmer4000
i don't want to hide files in password-protected folers and the hotlink prevention is definitely a good idea but it doesn't answer my basic question: can i (and how?) limit IP numbers (visitors) to download a certain mamimum number of files?
i've seen it being done on illegal warez sites that only allow 5 downloads per day per IP number.
Niakie
You could make a script (PHP. perl, ASP, whatever) that streams the file through it, and have that file keep count (useing a database?) of how many files have been downloaded by the IP.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here