Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Log files
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Webslave
Hi,

Once a site starts getting some traffic and makes 1Gb traffic a day, logfiles increase in size very rapidly. Several MBs per day. I have experience this with other projects. I would like know if the logfiles are automatically deleted every month or if have the "rights" to delete all logfiles at any times. On some other projects that don't have the cpanel but confixx, this hasn't been possible.
Vanya
We can clear log files on your request or we can configure a cron job to to do this automatically.
Webslave
Yeah! I need that now. Some files, or log files seem to have grown over 15 MB.
My website is not dynamic so it cannot grow in size on it's own. Because of this problem i cannot create an email adress because it says "cannot write to disk" "quota full".

Which files do also grow in size which i do not have access to concerning my webhosting account ?
Alec
Please remind me your domain name
Webslave
www.myisla-hotels.com

The last few days some files grew on their own, i suspect it to be my logfiles but when i count them they do not amount up to over 15 MB so which files could it else be, i don't use any database, i still had enough webspace to run an email adress with 10 MB. But now I'm -15 MB. Could it also be that some files get backed up automatically ?
Vanya
There is no backups in your disk space.
You have almost 3G of web files(public_html)+mail+conf files+awstat's files+bases
Webslave
Which paths must i include in the cron job area so that my logfiles get deleted every month ?

I want all logfiles deleted.

Another thing, apart the logfiles, which other files do increase in size which affect my webspace ? (without having uploaded any new files ofcourse smile.gif )

Just tried checking my AWSTATS, the following message appeared:

Error: LogFile parameter is not defined in config/domain file

Setup ('/home/myislah/tmp/awstats/awstats.myisla-hotels.com.conf' file, web server or permissions) may be wrong.
See AWStats documentation in 'docs' directory for informations on how to setup awstats.

And for WEBALIZER I just see an empty page.
Vanya
2.0G hotels
980M t

that's two dirs from your public_html
Webslave
2.0G hotels
980M t

that's two dirs from your public_html
Ok. I know that, you see, my files amount up to 2980 MB. These are static files, they will always remain the same.

But in my CPANEL my webpsace usage has increased since a few days to 3012 MB - are these 32 MB just logfiles ?

Another thing, apart the logfiles, which other files do increase in size which affect my webspace ?

That's why I asked this, i was wondering if there are some files apart from the logfiles to which i do not have access to but which are stored on my webspace and take up space.

Ok, per ftp i deleted all my logfiles for AWSTATS and Webalizer, how do i get access to the analog logfiles ? There is still an excess of 28 MB (3008 MB total webspace used). These must be the raw logfiles.
Webslave
OK - AWSTATS and WEBALIZER are working again.

I deleted all logfiles, didn't upload anything. There is still an excess of 29 MB, where does it come from ?

Disk Usage: 3009 MB
Website Size: 2980 MB

Would be cool to get that solved so that in future any files that grow don't fill up my webspace.
Vanya
mail+conf files+awstat's files+DBs
Webslave
1. Website ist STATIC and not DYNAMIC - the site always remains the same.
2. I don't have emails stored.
3. I don't use any Database.

I deleted all AWSTATS and WEBALIZER files. Now, help me, can you do a search or something like that in my webspace ? where do they excess 29 MB come from ?

I'm asking a lot now to avoid in future problems where daily there is an increase of 100 MB...
Vanya
As i said before there are also config files and some of them can be count as part of your spce(they actually are).
Cpanel also can make small mistakes counting space used.
Webslave
where can i also delete those config files ?
Vanya
will it be ok if we add 29M disk space to you for free and leave config files untouched in order to prevent your site's problems?
MartinB
biggrin.gif
Dark Hedgehog
You can also go into "FTP" and delete the error log as well.

And I want to do this too, I have a counter service for this already.
Webslave
First of all i would like to thank for taking my queries into consideration. I bought 300 MB yesterday to avoid any problems so you don't need to give me any free space yet.
But thanks! wink.gif

I'm expecting my site to generate several GBs of traffic in the months to come, more visits/hits will also mean that the logfiles will grow. I hope that you help me then if the config files to which i don't have access to OVERGROW out my extra 300 MB.

Maybe when you get sometime you can let me know which paths to include in my cronjob area so that my logfiles get deleted monthly.
Webslave
@Dark Hedgehog

You can also go into "FTP" and delete the error log as well.

And I want to do this too, I have a counter service for this already.

I deleted most logs with FTP, but couldn't find any Error Log, are using Virtual Server ? Maybe my access is restricted to this and you have root access ?
Dark Hedgehog
I am on the Profi Plan.

And the error logs aren't seen until you have site errors.
Not host errors like mysql downtimes and what-not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here