Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: uploading thru ftp
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
wendas
I feel like I have never published a web site. All my other ones were free through my internet service where I had a sub web.. This is so different.

I have a domain.. Troop86-nh.com

my Cpanel for FP extensions warned not to turn it on unless I was to use it. But, it looked like someone had already turned it on so I left it with the default setup.

I just figured out that I can upload in Front Page using the troop86-nh.com as my remote host.. (this was a lesson in itself as I wanted to upload to the web host name hostony & did not know I was my own remote site)

With some help from others, I got Front Page "publish web site" to work, it uploaded no errors & my Front Page shows that the remote site (not my local site)has all my uploaded information in there..

I was ecstatic until I looked at the web on the internet. http:\\www.troop86-nh.com. It reflects that it doesn't know I did anything at all! It is like I never uploaded.. And my index.html page is not the default page, it is still the index.

the internet site shows Parent, private, phpbb, postinfo.html

the frontpage remote site shows private, images, mail, public_html,tmp, index.htm, www

The internet doesn't know about the FP uploads.. But FP also does not know about the phpbb folder..?? Am I looking at two different sites?

so then I cleared the history, thinking it was reloading a saved page.. Now my site will not load at all when I try to get to it on the internet.. It just hangs, wont even say it cannot find the web site.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Wenda
Stanly
As I can see there is only a phpBB forum at your public_html directory.
You need to connect to your troop86-nh.com domain and then publish your site to public_html folder.
If there will be something wrong you can read Front Page Help or contact Microsoft corporation for help.
wendas
so to make sure I have this right.. let me recap

My FrontPage looks directly at the remote site which has a main folder, but when I look at www.troop86-nh.com it bypasses this main folder & shows me what is in a subfolder called public_html.

I need to clean up what I put in the main folder, it should not be there.. Can you tell me what should be there so I do not delete the wrong thing?

In front page I should create a folder called public_html, and put all my html pages and code in this, that way when I publish, they will go into the right area.

Is this correct?
artrocity
This is what I would do if I were you.

1) Get a ftp program. WS_FTP is free for non commercial use.

2) All those files that FP created...use a FTP program to upload
them to your public_html folder.

3) Once that is done then you will be able to use FP
to edit your pages on the fly.

I'm sure you could do this all through FP but
I've NEVER gotten that "upload to web" thing to work properly.
wendas
Well, I still have a problem with my ws_ftp.. The same information I use to setup for Front Page are not working in ws_ftp.

in front page the host was ftp://troop86-nh.com
then the domain username
then the domain password
this works..

in ws_ftp I used troop86-nh.com (from what I know the ftp:// is not entered, it is assumed.)
then the domain username
then the domain password
I get a failed connection.. I do have to work out the bug, because I am working with a flock of scouts, and I have to show them how to connect using the ws_ftp le program.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Update on WS_ftp.. they have changed from ws_ftp le to ws_ftp home, and it now cost $35. You can't find ws_ftp le anywhere on the internet.

the other one was really only for school.. I watched them get tighter & tighter on the questions, because I felt it fair to use when teaching my son on the web, and went for it for teaching the scouts about building a web.. The questions asked in May made me think I was being a little shady to state it was for students to talk to students.. They are all students, but it was for them to talk about scouting. It was to be used to teach students.. but, I was side stepping my answers to get the right outcome.

In June they replaced it with FTP home.. Nicer design, but costly if you have to supply multiple scouts with it. I guess too many people found it to easy to sidestep the answers to get FTP for free.
dragonfli
whoa, hold on there!
there is something you should know about Frontpage!
It defaults to public-html.
In other words, if the "destination web" as frontpage likes to call it when publishing is "http://yourdomain.com" it really sends it to what would be "/public_html/" in ftp view.
Also Publishing with frontpage is very different from just uploading files. If they are just straight html, then just uploading is fine. but if you are using frontpage features like navigation bars ect. it will not work properly if it is not "published" with frontpage.

I have and maintain 10 websites on hostony servers that are written in frontpage. (no problems)
All you have to do is make sure you use "http://domain.com" as destination when publishing and not "ftp://domain.com" and all should be well.
If your files went to the wrong place it was because you let people confuse you about ftp vs publishing with frontpage, they are very different things. If you want to just upload files via ftp use something like dreamweaver instead of frontpage.
(the difference has to do with the front page extensions and the purpose they serve for a frontpage developed website).
Danimal
QUOTE(wendas @ Jul 21 2004, 11:50 AM)
I have a domain.. Troop86-nh.com

Aaaah! I see you followed my advice with the domain name! Welcome aboard.

I too recommend using WS_FTP as it gives you more control and is very easy to use. However, you're getting a connection error. Does it happen to tell you what the error is? The way you described your connection procedure sounds right. You do have to make sure you pick the right server type though.
wendas
I would love to get both working.. like I said the kids must go thru ws_ftp and I must teach them how to upload using ws_ftp I am just use to Front page.. but always used the FTP from FP as that is the only way my past hosts would upload'

both have their own errors..

ws_ftp :
by asking what server type I am using, do you mean the host type which defaults to Unix (standard) I have never changed this as the default has always worked.. my index says I am on an appache server?? (which I do not see as an option on the ws_ftp anyway).

the errors when trying to connect on ws_ftp are :

can't get troop86-nh.com host entry
connection failed troop86-nh.com

front page :

I tried the http:\\troop86_nh.com

this gets me to the password prompt, I use the same password that worked in the ftp:\\troop86_nh and it re-prompts me 3 or 4 times then gives me this error...

Unable to open troop86-nh.com  causes may be 1. webserver extensions not installed, 2. out of sevice 3. proxy server problem 4. error occured in web server.

I have checked & double checked and in my CPanel my FP extensions for domain troop86-nh say they are installed.. (although I did not install it & it recommends not to install them unless using FP.. they were set up installed by default.)

I will appreciate help from either side of the debate... both uploading processes working would be better then none!

thanks
wenda
Vanya
You should open a ticket on this.
Support'll help.
dragonfli
I wish I could help with the front page issue; but the only times I ever had that front page error was when my front page extensions were broken.
To fix that the first time I got the error (about a year and a half ago). I uninstalled, then reinstalled the front page extensions using cpanel and everything worked again.
The second time however that didn't do it (about 8 months ago). I had to contact support as there was an issue of some kind with with frontpage or cpanel not keeping up with some upgrade compatability issues. Front page extensions were broken server wide then and It took them a bit of work to get it sorted out.
As far as ftp goes, I frequently use cuteftp client succesfully on my frontpage sites to upload php subfolders and downloadable content. and the wizard in that client makes it pretty easy to conect so I have never had an issue. I have never used the ws_ftp client and as such am pretty useless to you.
I am sure there are many who use that client who can help you tho, so I wouldn't worry.

Try This

1. For Frontpage
uninstall then reinstall frontpage extensions via cpanel and if that doesn't work submit a trouble ticket to Hostony Support so they can look into it (they will fix it if something is wrong server side)

2. For FTP
Check the basics.
Use a browser FTP connection just to see if you can access your sie via FTP in general.
Just type in "ftp://username:password@yoursite.com/" in your IE address bar and if all is working you should see your site folders (public_html ect.); you can even "drag drop" upload and download files this way. I do this on the fly sometime when I am at a friends house and they have IE but no FTP client. This also works on all my sites.

Good luck and remember, if it is broke they will fix it for you
artrocity
if the licensing of ws_ftp is not to your likings
then there are may other free programs out there

try: http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/FTP_freeware/

or to *really* teach those scouts a lesson !
goto a dos prompt (start->run->command)
and type:
ftp troop86-nh.com
login w/ username and password
cd public_html
binary
hash
put nameoffile.extention
or mput *.html

biggrin.gif Have fun !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here