Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parked, addon, subdirectory
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
rondonaghe
Not sure how to ask this, but I recently parked another domain into my account. I want it to be a separate website with nothing to do with my main site, other than to share the resources. I at least figured out how to make each of my sites respond to their own .com; but internally, what I put as the index page for one domain shows up as the index for the other.

I tried the addon domain business, but I had to have one be part of the URL for the other:

I want there two be two separate domains:

www.donaghe.biz

www.vita-man-lc.com

And I don't want there to be anything related about them. I thought hostony was capable of allowing this when it says: with the Special offer I am supposed to be able to have "full domains", each with it's own directory, structure, mailserver, databases, ftp, logins, etc.

But that's not how it is. Under addon domains, I had something like this:

www.donaghe.biz/vita-man.com

Under parked domains, when I change the index for vita-man, the index changes in donaghe.biz.

And it certainly is no better as a subdomain. So is there really a difference?

dry.gif
artrocity
You're almost there !

A parked domain will always point to an existing domain.
That way you can have example.com and example.net and example.org
all sharing the same webpages.

A sub domain is exactly that. SUB rolleyes.gif
blog.example.com shop.example.com example.example.com
basically a sub folder under your main site.

What you are looking for is the addon domain.
Kinda confusing but this can also be accessed as a subdomain
as it is a sub directory under your main site.

Like my web site....
myshop.artrocity.com is the same as music-movies-shop.us
all the files are in the myshop folder but the DNS at hostony makes
sure it resolves to the music-movies-shop.us

Hope this helps...
Vanya
Addon domain is a separate domain under your account. It have it's own content, mail accounts, ftp accounts, it's stats.
In the mean time addon domain is technically an alias for a subdomain on your main site.
rondonaghe
Actually I began with an addon domain, but as I said, it was set up so that I had to have my main domain as part of the URL:

donaghe.biz/vita-man-lc.com or something like that.

I want the two to be separate. I want donaghe.biz to be one

and vita-man-lc.com to be two.

It's not working that way.
artrocity
I think that this is what you need.

http://help.hostony.com/

some tutorials on CPanel
and how to create an ADDON domain.
rondonaghe
Nope. Sorry.

I do NOT want to have donaghe.biz/vita-man-lc.com together in the same URL

I want the new domain to have it's own URL

www.vita-man-lc.com

I do not want the two associated or one dependent upon the other. I want each to have their own index page. I do not want the index pages to update the other.

As I said, I began with the addon domain and was disappointed, because it's not it's own domain. Call it what you will the addon domain is nothing more in appearance than a subdomain.

Thanks for your help, however.

Ron Donaghe

sad.gif
Rastus
I have
my4x4toys.com
clineranch.com
lynneslearningloft.com all under the site I registered as my4x4toys.com.

these are all seperate domains.

you add additional domains just like stated above, thru the addon domains option. works like a charm.
rondonaghe
Yes. that's exactly what I want. I'll try going back to addon domains. My problem with it, however, was not being able to separate out the domains and having to have one follow-on the url after the other, as if it was a subdomain. And I couldn't figure out how to be able to have an index.html in one without it updating in the other.

Ron biggrin.gif
Stanly
1. Visit http://help.hostony.com to know how to configure your domain names
2. Also you will need to change name servers for all of your domain names to ours (this info was sent to you at your account activtion e-mail).
Danimal
QUOTE(rondonaghe @ Jul 20 2004, 02:26 PM)
Yes. that's exactly what I want. I'll try going back to addon domains. My problem with it, however, was not being able to separate out the domains and having to have one follow-on the url after the other, as if it was a subdomain. And I couldn't figure out how to be able to have an index.html in one without it updating in the other.

Ron biggrin.gif

It does create a subdomain, but the addon domain points to that subdomain. Say your addon domain is "addon.net" and your sub folder is called "subfolder." To update the index page for addon.net you'd update the index.html file in subfolder. It will have no effect on your existing domain. That index.html file will still be the one which people see when they type in your main domain name.

In other words, the addon domain doesn't create a whole new account, it just lets you point a domain name to a folder (any folder you choose) in your existing account.

I hope this cleared things up a bit.
rondonaghe
smile.gif tongue.gif rolleyes.gif

Thanks for everyone's help. I got it done.

Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here