Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is considered a legal
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
djw84
Okay, before I go uploading content I believe to be questionable, I have decided to ask here first.

MP3's. Now if I uploaded an MP3 of say Metallica, I'm sure it would be illegal. But one of my favorite bands (www.craigsbrother.net) supports the spreading of thier music through the internet. So am I allowed to share MP3's by bands like this?

Videos/Flash. There are many sites (www.newgrounds.com) (www.ebaumsworld.com) that share popular videos and flash movies from the internet. In most cases, these arent copyrighted so I'm trying to figure out exactly what is and is not allowed.

Also, what if I have bootleg recordings of musicians I made myself. Are they allowed?

When I signed up for Hostony I read every line of text I checked "agree" next to. But I feel the need to clarify on these things. Thanks for your time.
mavisdeath
I'd like to know this too.
ChrisP
Good post. I would also like to ask this question.

On a couple of sites I visit, we have contests similar to the "Name That Tune" TV series. I post very short clips from songs and people try and name the song. How is that viewed under Hostony's TOS.

QUOTE(djw84 @ Jul 19 2004, 04:53 AM)
But one of my favorite bands (www.craigsbrother.net) supports the spreading of thier music through the internet. So am I allowed to share MP3's by bands like this?

This one I can answer from my POV, I once had a website that hosted a small site for an up and comming band out of Canada. I was owner of thier domain name and had a friend who actually knew the band and ran the website. I was smart enough to get in writing, permission to post their songs on the website. With the "written" understanding that if they were signed with a record label, I would remove the songs after receiving written notification. As it turned out, they crashed and burned as a band so it was not an issue for me. I no longer have thier site or music.

But I would think that if craigsbrother.net supports sharing of thier stuff, bookmark, copy and print anything from the site that says that. Also any fine print that may have a clause like I had in my example above.

I shall now go and visit thier site, I am a big fan of Indie music.
Serge
First of all I'm not a lawyer to be 100% accurate but things work pretty simple.

Once you put any copyrighted MP3 on your site and it is harwested by search engines legal companies that work for labels will go about you and we'll get an attorney letter with a request to close your site.

If we won't do that requst will be posted to our network providers to cut network connection to our server.

So if you want to post any mp3, viseo , flash, etc. the best would be to contact the owner and ghet confirmation (much better if it is a written one) that your actions are legal.

Also when you seee that something is distributed by a big site it doesn't mean that you can also have it on your site. They might have exlusive contract for distributing that staff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here