Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: File ownership
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
skyjt
Gee i was wondering if anyone else have come across this problem before. I have installed an alternate webmail system on my account. However the script created directories which are owned by the server "nobody" which i can neither ammend nor delete. So far the only way I have for removing the files/directories is to upload php script which changing the access rights for the others. (CHMOD 777)

Is there a better way to do this?
Stanly
You can use shell access (SSH).
skyjt
Hmm... That was actually the first thing i tried. Because the files/directories were created by the script, the permission setup was read,write,execute only for the owner (nobody). I tried chown and chmod but I wasn't allowed to modify the files at all... I guess the server setup does not allow users to change ownership unless he/she is a superuser and no chmod unless you own the file. correct?

Really stumped.
phobos
Skyjt. You are right.
MartinB
submit a trouble ticket and the hostony staff will set the ownership for these files to youruser.nobody (youruser, group 'nobody') for you. Then you can get rid of your files, and nobody user(apache) too if you set the file permissions correctly for the group

that fix the problems usually.
skyjt
That's a good idea. Thanks mblendinger! I think I'll go do that now...
MartinB
no prob wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here