Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Migrating existing database site
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
RandyG
Hi All!

I'm considering moving hosts to hostony, but the question I have is pretty much generic for moving any database driven site from one host to another.

I know that once you change nameservers,it takes a few days to have it go into effect,but if someone is on my site at the time that the redirect occurs, and then from one link to another, is sent to the new host, will that cause problems, beyond the fact that the database on the "new" site will be older than the one on the original site?

What would be the best way to do this move,while still keeeping the main site live and transacting business?

My current site is hosted on windows box, and located in Ireland. I'll be moving to a Windows box located in USA (80%+ of my visitors are from the States).

Is it possible to have the database hosted in one place, and the site calling to it from another IP, or would that degrade speed too much? I could see how that would make migration possible, but am not sure how to go about it.

Oh, BTW, I frequent a Tech Support site that provides free forum based support, populated with volunteers. Anyone who would like to take a look at it can go to Tech Support Guy, and they help on any and all technology based topics.

it s one of the best support sites I have seen, and I have been helping there for almost 4 years!

Cheers!;)biggrin.gif
Alexandre
Hello
To move your databases all that you need to create dumps pf these databases.
Then these db dumps will be undumped on the new hosting and all must be working fine.
I think you should to ask your old hosting adnins to create dump of your dbs.
You can move it to us with other data.

Kind regards.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here