Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IMAP email support
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
Anonymous
HI,

I'm searching for a resellers account that supports IMAP email clients..... as you may know most don't! I understand that the latest version of CPanel does support IMAP (although I have no first hand experience). Could you confirm for me that you do provide the IMAP server components as part of resellers account, and if so, do you have customers actually using the servers? The reason I'm asking is that I understand that IMAP email setup and maintiance can be complicated, so I'm looking for a host with some experience. Really, most don't! :idea:

thanks,
Craig
Shurik
Hello.

Yes we support IMAP. Why do you think that IMAP support is complcated? This is ordinary thing.

Unfortunately I haven't counted how many our customers use IMAP but when I check system logs I see messages about IMAP connections, so we do have users who use IMAP biggrin.gif
Anonymous
Thanks... I guess it's mostly due to never setting up an IMAP account, and from my discussions with other hosts that DONT support it. But stay tuned... because I'm going to try out your services shortly!

-Craig
Anonymous
I'd also like to find out more about Hostony's IMAP capabilities and email capabilities in general. This is both for myself because I'm looking for a provider and for my "IMAP Service Providers" page, which is where I'm collecting a lot of the information that I'm learning during my quest for a provider. Here are some questions:

* What IMAP server software are you running (UW, Cyrus, Courier, etc)?

* Do you support secure IMAP access? If so, what are the options (CRAM-MD5, IMAP-over-TLS, etc)?

* What is the name of your IMAP server so I can telnet to it and issue the CAPABILITY command and find out more about how it's configured?

* Can users who have ssh access write their own Procmail recipes?

* What version of Procmail do you have installed?

* What version of Pine do you have installed? Has it been built with the ability to do IMAP and NNTP or SSL? Has it been built with the option to save a PASSFILE?

* Can user build and run their own programs, e.g., pine or beta releases of SpamAssassin?

* Do you do backups and restores? If so, how often are the backups done and how long are they kept? Are there tools for users to do the restores themself or do users have to ask a sys admin to do this?

* Do you support subaddressing, which is also known as "plus addressing," so that users can have mail that is sent to user+boxname@hostony.com automatically delivered to a mailbox named boxname in the users message store?

Thanks very much,
Nancy McGough
Infinite Ink
www.ii.com
CraigE
Great questions Nancy! Wish I know enough about IMAP to ask all of them before I signed on..... smile.gif but I'm willing to learn as I go. (your website is great BTW ). And so far (day 2 now...) support here has been good, I think we are all learning :?

At this point... I've played with the CPanel (version 4) installed on this system, and I've not found any specific support for which ever IMAP server is installled. Not sure what what I should expect, but I'm thinking that a newer version of CPanel may provide more options. Alternately, I"m sure there are other ways to get to the server....

Shurik, could you tell us what server is installed and how to get to it?

thanks,
Shurik
Hello.
Nancy, as I see you know much more than me about mail programs and use them professinally. Unfortunately I still haven't so many exprience in mail processing sofware to give detailed answers.
Here is what I know at the moment

1. We use UW-imap server (http://www.washington.edu/imap/).
2. It is provide APOP and CRAM-MD5 authentication
(http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/md5.txt.html)
3. I don't know what do you mean. Why do you need the name of the imap server to connect through telnet to it? You can simply connect at
telnet 209.51.138.26 143
4,5 Yes, we have procmail 3.21 installed
6. Our Pine is 4.44 version.
7. This is mostly depends from privileges that program requires to be installed. In any case we are always ready to help users in the updating, configuring and installing additional sofware if it is need root access for it.
8. We use our own scripts for making backups and we do this weekly. We store two last backups on other our servers. You need ask me to make restore of your files.
9. Mmmm hard question. We haven't provide such ability until this time. But if you need it and help us to set up this we will do.

Anyway as I see you need test our server to give exact answers on all questions. I can give you a test account for some days. I hope it will help you to make final decision and buy our hosting biggrin.gif
CraigE
I think it would really help promote the use of your IMAP services if you could put together a "configureation guide" or at least some sort of step by step setup for just a basic account. If you like I could post a question in a more appropriate section in on this forum smile.gif , or this something that you would like to take off line for now? I'd be more than willing to review / test any posts on my account.... I suspect I'm typical of your average "newbie" to IMAP management. I really think this could be a strenght of your webhosting service... if folks could figure how to use it!

thanks,
Shurik
I've created new forum named "Mail". I propose to transfer all mail questions on it. There you can find the first my thread - "How to create and use mail account - common questions".
Some later (within two days) I plan to create two more threads - "How to use POP3 mail protocol" and "How to use IMAP mail protocol".
CraigE
Great idea. I will compliment your efforts, so far your support has been first class. I'm really looking forward to working with you.

thanks,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here