Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: could someone help with nameserver?
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
dragonfli
I hate to be a bother but my private nameservers are not as healthy as can be.
My secondary nameserver specificaly (ns2.dragonflihost.net) has caused bad reports for a long time now "Nothing but F ratings"
on my older domains the secondary nameserver times out and does not work on tests but is better on newer ones although still recieves criticism from all the test sites for such things (DNSstuff.com, ect.)
Something about "not being authoratative and not updating properly"
Can you look at my nameserver setup for me? I need pros to figure this out for me as I don't know why they don't work well.
when tested the hostony's nameservers get an "A" so I know you know your way with this sort of thing.
If you get a chance
I really would like to be able to continue to use my nameservers for my clients; they seem really impressed when the nameservers match my domain
Thanks!

don't know if this helps any -
Searching for A record for thevalleycenter.com at G.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.:  Got referral to ns2.dragonflihost.net. [took 125 ms]Searching for A record for thevalleycenter.com at ns2.dragonflihost.net.:  Server failure! [took 126 ms].

DNS Lookup: thevalleycenter.com A record
Generated by www.DNSstuff.com
How I am searching:
Searching for A record for thevalleycenter.com at l.root-servers.net:  Got referral to H.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [took 124 ms]
Searching for A record for thevalleycenter.com at H.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.:  Timed out.  Trying again.
Searching for A record for thevalleycenter.com at E.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.:  Got referral to ns1.dragonflihost.net. [took 125 ms]
Searching for A record for thevalleycenter.com at ns1.dragonflihost.net.:  Server failure! [took 128 ms].

Answer:
Server failure.  There's a problem with the DNS server for thevalleycenter.com.

To see the reverse DNS traversal, to make sure that all DNS servers are reporting the correct results, you can Click Here.

Looking up at the 2 thevalleycenter.com. parent servers:

Server Response Time
ns2.dragonflihost.net [Broken DNS server: Reports a server failure] 108ms
ns1.dragonflihost.net [Broken DNS server: Reports a server failure] 217ms

it has only been 3 days for the since nameservers were set for this domain. would another day or two of waiting fix it?
Vanya
Please check it now.
dragonfli
Thanks For The Help!

Domain works and nameservers do well on all tests now

Example:
Domain Type Class TTL Answer thevalleycenter.com. A IN 14400 207.44.244.81 thevalleycenter.com. NS IN 14400 ns1.dragonflihost.net. thevalleycenter.com. NS IN 14400 ns2.dragonflihost.net. ns1.dragonflihost.net. A IN 14400 207.44.245.187 ns2.dragonflihost.net. A IN 14400 209.152.180.39

Looking up at ns1.dragonflihost.net.... Reports 1 A record(s). 43ms.
Looking up at ns2.dragonflihost.net.... Reports 1 A record(s). 130ms.

Average of all 2 nameservers: 86ms (plus 210ms overhead).

Score: A-

Good Job as always smile.gif
MartinB
I know I get 8 extra point for the TLD .ar domain, but what is this of "having no glue at a parent server" ?

If you can, please check it ? smile.gif I think this is a solutionable problem.
thanks

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstime.ch?n...g.com.ar&type=A

Looking up at ns2.hostony.com.... [Had to look up A record for ns2.hostony.com; assume +200ms]...Reports 1 A record(s). 243ms.
Looking up at ns8.hostony.net.... [Had to look up A record for ns8.hostony.net; assume +200ms]...Reports 1 A record(s). 280ms.

Average of all 2 nameservers: 261ms (plus 597ms overhead).

Score: F

Took off 8 points for ".ar" TLD (extra lookups likely will be necessary to find the parent servers).
Took off 8 points for having no glue at a parent server [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns2.hostony.com [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns8.hostony.net [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 20 points for >200ms average response time.

Note: The 597ms overhead is the time it takes to get your NS records from the parent servers, and indicates a worst-case scenario (normally, the resolving DNS server would have the common parent server entries cached, and would know the parent server(s) that were responding most quickly). The best times since the last time this web server was last restarted are: 15ms average response, plus 87ms overhead. Note that these times are from a server located in the United States; if most of the people using your DNS are outside of the United States, your actual results may be better than what is shown here. A rating of 'B' or higher is generally good. This tool is designed to make an educated guess about speed, and to point out potential factors that may reduce the DNS speed, and it is not perfect.
logoexpert
Mart?n dele una mirada a esta direcci?n :

http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/rfc/rfc1912.html#2.3 Glue A Records

Eso le ayudar? a aclarar lo de Glue Records.

Si Ud. es un "reseller" deber?a tener sus propios nameservers y eso le ayudar?a en ese reporte.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here