Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Major Problems with Server20?
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Terrycom
There seem to be some serious problem with my servers. Please take a look at the report below. I've been having renewed mail problems, and my sites have been down for good portions of the day. Same with FTP earlier today. Can you provide an explanation of what is happening?

Tom Terry
Terrycom.net
-----
WARN All nameservers report identical NS records WARNING: At least one of your nameservers did not return your NS records (it reported 0 answers). This could be because of a referral, if you have a lame nameserver (which would need to be fixed).

207.44.233.251 returns 0 answers (may be a referral)

FAIL All nameservers respond ERROR: Some of your nameservers listed at the parent nameservers did not respond. The ones that did not respond are:

FAIL Lame nameservers ERROR: You have one or more lame nameservers. These are nameservers that do NOT answer authoritatively for your domain. This is bad; for example, these nameservers may never get updated. The following nameservers are lame:

FAIL Missing nameservers 2 ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
ns1.terrycom.net.
ns2.terrycom.net.

FAIL Stealth NS record leakage Your DNS servers leak stealth information in non-NS requests:

Stealth nameservers are leaked [I.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [J.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [K.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [L.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [M.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [A.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [B.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [C.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [D.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [E.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [F.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [G.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [H.GTLD-SERVERS.net.]!

This can cause some serious problems (especially if there is a TTL discrepancy). If you must have stealth NS records (NS records listed at the authoritative DNS servers, but not the parent DNS servers), you should make sure that your DNS server does not leak the stealth NS records in response to other queries.

FAIL NS agreement on SOA Serial # ERROR: Your nameservers disagree as to which version of your DNS is the latest! 4294967295 versus 0! This is OK if you have just made a change recently, and your secondary DNS servers haven't yet received the new information from the master. I will continue the report, assuming that 0 is the correct serial #.

WARN SOA MNAME Check WARNING: Your SOA (Start of Authority) record states that your master (primary) name server is: I.GTLD-SERVERS.net.. However, that server is not listed at the parent servers as one of your NS records! This is probably legal, but you should be sure that you know what you are doing.

FAIL SOA RNAME Check ERROR: Your SOA (Start of Authority) record states that your DNS contact E-mail address in hostname format is: . However, that is NOT valid (it must have at least 2 '.''s in it and no '@')!

WARN SOA Serial Number WARNING: Your SOA serial number is: 0. That is OK, but the recommended format (per RFC1912 2.2) is YYYYMMDDnn, where 'nn' is the revision. For example, if you are making the 3rd change on 02 May 2000, you would use 2000050203. This number must be incremented every time you make a DNS change.

FAIL SOA REFRESH value WARNING: Your SOA REFRESH interval is : 0 seconds. This seems very low. You should consider increasing this value to about 3600-7200 seconds. RFC1912 2.2 recommends a value between 1200 to 43200 seconds (20 minutes to 12 hours). A value that is too low will unncessarily increase Internet traffic.

FAIL SOA RETRY value WARNING: Your SOA RETRY interval is : 0 seconds. This seems very low. You should consider increasing this value to about 120-7200 seconds. The retry value is the amount of time your secondary/slave nameservers will wait to contact the master nameserver again if the last attempt failed.

FAIL SOA EXPIRE value WARNING: Your SOA EXPIRE time is : 0 seconds. This seems very low. You should consider increasing this value to about 1209600 to 2419200 seconds (2 to 4 weeks). RFC1912 recommends 2-4 weeks. This is how long a secondary/slave nameserver will wait before considering its DNS data stale if it can't reach the primary nameserver.

FAIL SOA MINIMUM TTL value WARNING: Your SOA MINIMUM TTL is : 0 seconds. This seems very low (unless you are just about to update your DNS). You should consider increasing this value to somewhere between 3600 and 10800. RFC2308 suggests a value of 1-3 hours. This value used to determine the default (technically, minimum) TTL (time-to-live) for DNS entries, but now is used for negative caching.

MX FAIL MX Category ERROR: I couldn't find any MX records for terrycom.net. If you want to receive E-mail on this domain, you should have MX record(s). Without any MX records, mailservers should attempt to deliver mail to the A record for terrycom.net. I can't continue in a case like this, so I'm assuming you don't receive mail on this domain.

Mail FAIL Connect to mail servers ERROR: I could not find any mailservers for terrycom.net.

WWW FAIL WWW Category ERROR: I couldn't find any A records for www.terrycom.net. But I did find a referral to G.GTLD-SERVERS.net. (and maybe others). If you want a website at www.terrycom.net, you will need an A record for www.terrycom.net. If you do not want a website at www.terrycom.net, you can ignore this error.
Glide
I'm having problems too. When I try to FTP upload a file it disconnects as if I am out of space, but I know I have over 2 gig. remaining. I sent a support ticket in over an hour ago and haven't heard a thing. I guess we sit and twiddle our thumbs until we are allocated another 10 meg.
The only problem with that is that we intend to use all of our space and will probably need to purchase more. So I guess every week or so we will have to go through this. Such a waste of time for everyone involved.
Vanya
Please check it now.
There was a small dns issue on the server but it's ok now.
Terrycom
Apparently, it's not all fixed. I'm still having some problems. I did a DNS Report check and came up with several errors still unresolved. I'm especially concerned about the last two - regarding not connectting to the mail server and only having a single MX entry.

Tom
Terrycom.net
----FAIL Missing (stealth) nameservers FAIL: You have one or more missing (stealth) nameservers. The following nameserver(s) are listed (at your nameservers) as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the the parent nameservers (therefore, they may or may not get used, depending on whether your DNS servers return them in the authority section for other requests, per RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these stealth nameservers are working; if they are not responding, you may have serious problems! The DNS Report will not query these servers, so you need to be very careful that they are working properly.

ns2.hostony.com.ns8.hostony.net.
This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

FAIL Missing nameservers 2 ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
ns1.terrycom.net.
ns2.terrycom.net.

FAIL Stealth NS record leakage Your DNS servers leak stealth information in non-NS requests:

Stealth nameservers are leaked [ns2.hostony.com.]!
Stealth nameservers are leaked [ns8.hostony.net.]!

This can cause some serious problems (especially if there is a TTL discrepancy). If you must have stealth NS records (NS records listed at the authoritative DNS servers, but not the parent DNS servers), you should make sure that your DNS server does not leak the stealth NS records in response to other queries.

WARN SOA MNAME Check WARNING: Your SOA (Start of Authority) record states that your master (primary) name server is: ns8.hostony.net.. However, that server is not listed at the parent servers as one of your NS records! This is probably legal, but you should be sure that you know what you are doing.

WARN Multiple MX records WARNING: You only have 1 MX record. If your primary mail server is down or unreachable, there is a chance that mail may have troubles reaching you.

FAIL Connect to mail servers ERROR: I could not complete a connection to any of your mailservers!

terrycom.net: Timed out [Last data sent: None]

If this is a timeout problem, note that the DNS report only waits about 30 seconds for responses, so your mail may work fine in this case but you will need to use testing tools specifically designed for such situations.
Alec
Your dns problem is fixed
Moogy
seems like I have been having problems with my page for well over the last month on server 20, haven't opened a ticket or anything as it appears others were having same/similar issues

www.skribbulz.com is a gaming site I host

most days I have issues with

- slowness, page opens very slow, it's a nuke maybe something on "my end" is wrong but seems like it always pulls up very slow, tried from different locations and always on fast speed internet (work lan or home cable) granted it is a gaming site and the biggest attraction on the page is the screen shot gallery so I'm sure the .jpgs slow things down a tad but always seems to load up slow with navigation being slow...again could be my issue or an issue with the way the nuke is set up

- the SQL server issue most days atleast at some point I will get the white page/fatal error message
i.e. Fatal error: Call to undefined function: message_die() in /home/skribbul/public_html/db/db.php on line 88

- or it just times out

usually these things will happen thru out the day for a little bit and then the page will be useable, happens at random times but seems to be thru out a majority of the day I usually check in on it from 8am in the morning until about 2am (U.S. CST time)

strange thing is usually file download speeds are very nice and I can always usually conect via FTP

if I should make a service ticket let me know, haven't because from an outside view it seems that perhaps server 20 is just overloaded and there are some running SQL problems that seem to be effecting various servers

overall I have been happy with Hostony and realize the web space/traffic is a good bargain for what is available on the market, just wish sometimes my page would not have these issues wink.gif
phobos
I suggest you to visit Web Site Analyzer tool and check you site.
You will receive useful recommendations.
loanshark
Are you having problems with servers 23 and 24? Or is it just the Control Panel?

I've been publishing upgrades to two of my websites, but access to 5 new sites has been unsuccessful and I can get them to upgrade to install Frontpage extensions.

(MyHeloc.com)

Can you help? Thanks...
loanshark
I'm sorry - that should have been ==> I can't install Frontpage Extensions on my new websites <==

Can you give me a hint as to what is wrong?
Stanly
Sure, I can.
Just tell me how did you try to install them.
And if there was some error please give me its full text.
Moogy
QUOTE(phobos @ Jul 2 2004, 09:41 AM)
I suggest you to visit Web Site Analyzer tool and check you site.
You will receive useful recommendations.

thanks Phobos I'll check it out
loanshark
The web site domain names were ordered and directed to NS 23 and 24 about Tuesday or Wednesday.

Yesterday I installed them as "add-on" websites and subdirectories to my main site. They went on without a problem and I was able to pull up a sub-directory page for all of them.

This morning, when I tried to upload my working index.html page for paymybk13.com - I got an error message saying that Frontpage extensions were needed. I went to the control panel and found the website and tried to install the Frontpage Extensions. The website addresses were all listed, as expected, but when I tried to install the extensions I got an error message saying the extensions could not be installed because the public directory did not exist.

I have done this action many times and this is the first time I have run into a problem. If you are going to jump in and fix the problem for me, please install extensions on all of the sites that do not currently have them.

Thanks...
Stanly
Sorry, but FrontPage Extensions work only at main domain name.
There is no such feature as FrontPage Extensions at addon domain name.
BUT! smile.gif
You can connect (not publish, but connect at first) to your main domain name with FrontPage, then go to your addon domain name folder there, and only then publish your files that you want place to your addon domain.
That will help you. Good luck.
loanshark
That's weird. My second site (paymyforeclosure.com) worked just fine and allowed me to install FP Extensions. If what you say is true, then why does the Control Panel have an Install - Uninstall option for each subsequent web site? Why is it different for the last 5, when compared to the first add-on site?
loanshark
There seems to be something wrong at your end. Trying to log in to the Control Panel gets no where. Now trying to access my main website and I am told that it also can not be accessed, probably due to the fact that it does not have Sharepoint services or Frontpage Extensions.

There is definitely something wrong at your end - at least that seems to be the indication from here.
loanshark
This entry from the Control Panel would indicate that add-on domains can have extensions. Like I said, my second website (my first add-on) worked just fine after I installed extensions.

This is what the Control Panel says:

==>Warning: It is recommended that you DO NOT install FrontPage Extensions on your account unless you intend to publish your site directly from the FrontPage application.

==>Uninstalling the extensions from the main domain will uninstall the extensions from all subdomains and addon domains. Uninstalling will also remove all .htaccess files in your web root (public_html). You must have the extensions installed on the main domain before they can be installed on any subdomains or addon domains.

==>Installing or uninstalling FrontPage Extensions will result in the loss of all .htaccess files in your web area. Any directories you have protected with WebProtect will become unprotected until you reprotect them.
loanshark
Attempting to install FrontPage extensions...
/home/myheloc/public_html/paymybk13 does not exist or is not a directory!

FrontPage extensions are currently: not installed

This is the error message I get when I try to install FP Extensions. Yet the subdirectory /paymybk13 does exist.
Stanly
Please go to http://support.hostony.com and submit a request about your problem with your control panel link, username and password for it at your trouble ticket.
I need this info to check your problem at practice.
loanshark
All attempts to even access the Control Panel at 2082 or 2083 are unsuccessful. Is the system down?
Vanya
Do you use the link http://67.15.48.21:2082?
It works for me...
loanshark
There must be a system wide problem or slow-down between my location and yours. All of my other sites load instantly (including Hostony.com) - but the control panel is not loading at all.

This is the standard error message I got when I clicked on the link in your message, the same address I've been trying to access.
--------------------------------------------

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
Alexandre
You should to contact your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). and check if ports 2082,2083, 2095, 2096 blocked. Al these ports used by cpanel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here