Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help please - my site is down
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
ajw
This is in general to staff, but I'd welcome input from any users who have have experienced the same problem.

My site is currently suspended because of spam, but I'm not "spamming". I'm running a small record label.

I do have a couple of PHP scripts that generate automatic mail using the mail() function - which I have read may cause problems.

One script sends a response when a user buys something, the other uses mail() to send to addresses on a distribution list.

Support sent me a massive list of addresses that he believes were generated by my site - but my distribution list only has a couple of test email addresses in it, and I've only had a few purchases over several months.

It's been over two hours and the only help I've had from support was "fix your scripts". I'm very frustrated. Can someone please advise?

Best,
Adam
Alexandre
But your script sends emails to nonexistant adresses.
Please investigate.
We can't unsuspend now your account.
ajw
OK, let's try to figure this out. BTW, I removed the actual email addresses in the script below between the <> to protect them - but there are only three being sent two - and two are my own!

Just to verify we are talking about the same script - here is my code.

It is in the directory for stonequarryrecords.org, in /public_html/news_admin/mailing_list.php. As you can see, there are only three email addresses in here. There is no way this script could be sending to all the addresses you wrote about.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Stone Quarry Records</TITLE>
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</HEAD>

<BODY topmargin=10px bgcolor=#FFFFFF TEXT=#000000>

<CENTER>

<TABLE border=0px bgcolor=#FFFFFF width=632px cellpadding=10px cellspacing=0px>
<TR>
<TD valign="center" align="center" colspan=2>
<B>

<?php

$subject = $_GET[subject];
$message = wordwrap(stripslashes($_GET[message]), 72, "\r\n");

// Message footer:

$message = $message . "\r\n\r\n" . "________________________________________________________________________";
$message = $message . "\r\n\r\n" . "Stone Quarry Records | http://www.stonequarryrecords.org\r\n";
$message = $message . "\r\n" . "If you would like to be removed from this mailing list,";
$message = $message . "\r\n" . "send a reply to this message with 'remove' in the";
$message = $message . "\r\n" . "subject line of your email.";
$message = $message . "\r\n" . "________________________________________________________________________\r\n";
$sender = "Stone Quarry Records";

if ($subject == NULL) {
$subject = "Stone Quarry Records News";
}

////// This is the main array of email addresses on the mailing list. //////////
$addresses = array(
"Adam James Wilson <>",
"Stone Quarry Records Info <>",
"Jill Shanna <>"
);

$mail_sent = true;

function send_news() {
global $mail_sent;
global $sender;
global $subject;
global $addresses;
global $message;
foreach ($addresses as $address) {
if (mail($address, $subject, $message, "From: Stone Quarry Records <>\r\n") != true) {
$mail_sent = false;
}
}
}

send_news();

if ($mail_sent) {
echo "Messages successfully sent.";
} else {
echo "There was an error during message dispatch.";
}

?>

</B>
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>

</CENTER>

</BODY>

</HTML>
ajw
In the above script I'm using mail() to send one message to each of the three recipients - which are real addresses - in the array. I'm getting $subect and $message from a page in the same directory called index.html, but this script controls WHO the messages get sent to.

Two questions:
1) can you tell for sure that the spam mail is coming from my site - stonequarryrecords.org?
2) can you isolate what script or page is sending the spam? if so, I'll gladly take a look at it, but I can't upload files because I am shut out of ftp and the control panel !
Alexandre
Please have a look at trouble ticket.
ajw
Alex -

I have no idea what is causing this. Some other agent is obviously somehow using my account.

Please just delete everything under public_html for stonequarryrecords.org.

Can you then reactivate my service so that I can use webmail and forward my important emails to another email account?

At this point I just want to collect my important emails from my account and terminate my hosting service with hostony.

Best,
Adam
Vanya
I've unsuspended your account.
Your site is still inaccessible.
Mail to hostony@hostony.com for further investigation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here