Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: using Microsoft Access
Hostony Board > General Support > PHP/MySQL
rez
Hello,

I know this is the PHP forum but I don't know where to ask this.

I am using Dreamweaver MX to interact with a Microsoft Access Database. A support tech told me to use ASP VBScript. That is what I used in Dreamweaver. Unfortunately, I do not know any of the supported languages yet, which is probably why I can't solve the following problem. Can I put a Microsoft Database on Hostony? I was told I could. What language?

On my PC, with ASP VBScript, everything seems to work fine. I set up the DSN situation and made a connection. When making a recordset, the test works fine and sorts the records. So I am connected ok. I put a repeating region and some dynamic text on the actual page. When previewing in the browser, it only shows a page full of code. Also, I made sure to upload the supporting folder named "connections". But still, I get the source code in my browser instead of the database info:

<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>

<%
Dim mob_beerlist__MMColParam
mob_beerlist__MMColParam = "1"
If (Request("MM_EmptyValue") <> "") Then
mob_beerlist__MMColParam = Request("MM_EmptyValue")
End If
%>
<%

etc. etc.....

It seems like the server isn't processing it or something? Maybe the support tech is wrong about the language support? What is going on? Thanks.

Tony
artrocity
An Access DB can only be used on Windows Hosting.

I find dreamweaver really excels is at PHP/MySQL
which would run *best* on a Linux server.
Stanly
rez
Tell me please what kind of hosting did you purchase? Linux or Windows?
rez
Great.... so there is my problem. I don't even know! stickymultimedia.com

I bought it for testing and learning purposes. So I assume I got the Linux account because my pages aren't working.

Okay, so I'll use a converter to make a mysql database from the Access one. It only has one table.

Sound right, is that my problem and the best way to fix it?
Also, I can put the mysql DB in any folder?
Stanly
Yes, you have Linux hosting. You can't use ASP or MS Access Database.
Also you can't have MySQL databases at some folder 'cause they have system location.
artrocity
you are on a linux machine.
same server as me....

a mysql db is not a file like an access.mdb.

You *could* create it using phpmysqladmin in CPANEL.

Or you could install MYSQL on your machine (free)
use the mysqldump and put that on the server through
that phpadmin thing....

Or you have them switch you to windows hosting...

If you dont know the vbasp dialect then i'd recommend
picking up a php book and staying on the linux server

Many more options for scripts/ code samples/ free stuff ...
rez
hmmm... that is making sense. I did want to learn PHP and MySQL. I figured that was the way to go.

The thing is, right now I am working on someone's database that is already made in Access. It's a simple beer list. One table with 10 fileds or so. beer_name, alcohol, color, etc. 997 beers.

I think I do want to make this into a MySQL DB and stick with Linux. You think the easiest way would be to use a converter like Access2mysql?
http://www.data-conversions.net/access2mysqlsync.html
I think I read about it dumping the conversion to the server like you say the phpadmin does.

When making a mysql DB from scratch, which of the ways that you mentioned do you use?

Either way, once I get this database made, I think my problem will be making the online administration pages. I'll describe what I need to do, maybe you will have a suggestion or can point me to a place for help. I guess a Dreamweaver forum is what I'll need?:

I need a database of the 997 beers (you know that)

From that database, I need to show website visitors 3 beer lists. One for each of 3 pubs (bars). Each list will show visitors what beers are on tap that day for pub 1, pub 2, and pub 3.

This part seems easy. I just make 3 fields for each record named after the pubs. If the pub 1 field is "true" for Budweiser, then the beer is on tap there. So for Pub 1 for example, this would be an easy list to put on the site. I just make a recordset query listing pub1's beers that are marked "true".

I think my problem will be the administration pages. Dreamweaver is pretty easy on how to make forms to update, add, and delete records. But that seems to be for one record at a time. I need the administrator to see the whole list of beers. Each beer could have 3 checkboxes so he can simply check or uncheck boxes for the 3 locations. That's what I want to learn to create.

Any ideas?
artrocity
I dont have any expirience converting msaccess to mysql.

I create mysql db is a variety of ways.
Sometimes w/ notepad, tongue.gif
quick/dirty c++ progs
and something that might appeal to you
MySQL front end http://www.mysqlfront.de/
It has an ODBC import... i think

download mysql and this front end and
goto town ! wink.gif

As for the the programming...
all that stuff you are trying to do
can be done in dreamweaver.
If not you'll just have to get
your hands dirty and hack some php together....

Have fun and good luck !!!
rez
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check it out.

I'm sure I can handle it. biggrin.gif I'll get my hands dirty and move any questions to some specific forums until I figure it all out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here