Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ASP.Net
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
lepaul36
I am trying to figure out how to put up my asp.net stuff on here. I have a simple web page, but I can't figure out what all the extra stuff is.

It should say "Hello How are you?" http://www.habibsweb.com/test/index.aspx

here is my web.config file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<configuration>

<!--

The <appSettings> section is used to configure application-specific configuration
settings. These can be fetched from within apps by calling the
"ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings(key)" method:

<appSettings>
<add key="connectionstring" value="server=localhost;trusted_connection=true;database=pubs"/>
</appSettings>

-->

<system.web>

<!--

The <sessionState" section is used to configure session state for the application.
It supports four modes: "Off", "InProc", "StateServer", and "SqlServer". The
later two modes enable session state to be stored off the web server machine -
allowing failure redundancy and web farm session state scenarios.

<sessionState mode="InProc"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;trusted_connection=true"
cookieless="false"
timeout="20" />

-->

<!--

The <customErrors> section enables configuration of what to do if/when an
unhandled error occurs during the execution of a request. Specifically, it
enables developers to configure html error pages to be displayed in place of
a error stack trace:

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">
<error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm"/>
<error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm"/>
<customErrors>

-->
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/>
<!--

The <authentication> section enables configuration of the security authentication
mode used by ASP.NET to identify an incoming user. It supports a "mode"
attribute with four valid values: "Windows", "Forms", "Passport" and "None":

The <forms> section is a sub-section of the <authentication> section,
and supports configuring the authentication values used when Forms
authentication is enabled above:

<authentication mode="Windows">

<forms name=".ASPXAUTH"
loginUrl="login.aspx"
protection="Validation"
timeout="999999" />

</authentication>

-->

<!--

The <authorization> section enables developers/administrators to configure
whether a user or role has access to a particular page or resource. This is
accomplished by adding "<allow>" and "<deny>" sub-tags beneath the <authorization>
section - specifically detailing the users/roles allowed or denied access.

Note: The "?" character indicates "anonymous" users (ie: non authenticated users).
The "*" character indicates "all" users.

<authorization>
<allow users="joeuser" />
<allow roles="Admins" />
<deny users="*" />
</authorization>

-->

</system.web>

</configuration>

is there something I am missing?
phobos
What is the script content?
lepaul36
I am using matrix..here is the code from the all tab.

[CODE]<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
<script runat="server">

' Insert page code here
'

</script>
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<form runat="server">
Hello How are you?.<!-- Insert content here -->
</form>
</body>
</html>
Alexandre
Tell me please what actionsexpected from that script. And would be nice if you'll explain me it with more details.
lepaul36
I am just trying to get a page that says "Hello How are you?" . I am working on learning ASP.Net..I can get it to work fine on my PC, byt I get a bunch of stuff that shows the transaction details and tracking info after the sentance comes up. Is there something that I need to add to my files that will stop the extra info from comming up?
artrocity
<saracasm>
thats got to be one of the longest most convoluted
"Hello World" I've ever seen.
</sarcasm>

laugh.gif
Stanly
QUOTE(artrocity @ Jun 4 2004, 10:27 PM)
<saracasm>
thats got to be one of the longest most convoluted
"Hello World" I've ever seen.
</sarcasm>

laugh.gif

I agree.
lepaul36
Well, since I am just starting with it I am leaving in the default comments. I am used to programming in VB and I am used to HTML, but they don't combine that well at first. I thought that trying Matrix would be better (i heard there aren't as many server code behind issues and such). I have written some forums and stuff in Visual Studio that work great on my network, but will not work on the site.

Besides I gotta start somewhere.
phobos
Link http://www.habibsweb.com/test/index.aspx
is broken now.
Was
I am having similar problems. Man, what gives. After a strung out conversations back and forth between tech support, and eventually, what I thought was a solution, I find out today that the solution was a sham. Here I am, 2:30 AM in the morning, drenched in programming work, and I have to deal with this nonsense. I'm about to BLOW! I haven't written any swear words, but profanities are rocking my head right now! So please, have some sympathy, read carefully what I have to say, and give me a solution. Don't reply to me with some senseless reply!

Background

Approximately a month ago, a day or two after I signed up to a Hostony's Windows plan, I tested the server with a simple ASP.NET page. Now, mind you, before I joined Hostony, I ended relations with another host because I couldn't get a simple ASP.NET page to work on the server my site was on. When I talk about a simple ASP.NET page, I mean a page created from the default Visual Studio ASP.NET Web Application and two carelessly arranged Web Forms controls.

On the Hostony server, the page worked; however, only from the wwwroot directory. So, I posted to the Hostony forum, and afterwards submitted a request when I saw the forum wasn't getting me anywhere. The issue I brought up was that when I had my ASP.NET page in a directory that I created, the page didn't work. The error I got was that a server error in '/' application was occurring. I have no clue what that means, but that was the message I got (Server Error in '/' Application) displayed on IE when I tried to browse to the page.

So (because of the error message) most of the discussion with the support staff was centred on me; they started playing the blame game: it's your fault, it's your problem, etc, etc. 21 agonizing messages later, someone from the support staff, whom I mistakenly thought had some sense, said the problem is in the web.config file of the ASP.NET page, and that he deleted it. It worked, so I thought boy am I an idiot, since it was my code at fault. I had (I still have) very little knowledge and practically no practical experience with ASP.NET, so I felt bad for possibly acting irresponsibly.

I moved on, thinking everything was dandy, that I can place ASP.NET pages on my website. But nothing was dandy, as I find out a month later.

The Problem

Yesterday, I created a simple ASP.NET page, much like the ones I used before to test the server. I place it on the server, noting to remove its web.config file. I browse to it, and I get the error: Server Error in '/' Application. The thing is: the pages I placed there before and that the support staff helped me fix, were working fine.

I thought maybe they changed some code in the files of the ASP.NET pages that work. So, using my extensive programming experience, I did a thorough comparison between the code of the pages that worked and those that don't, but I found no discrepencies. I compared them file by file. Nothing.

I removed the pages that work and put them back: a simple cut and paste. Guess what. They stopped working too. Now no ASP.NET pages work.
Was
biggrin.gif [FONT=Impact][SIZE=14][COLOR=purple]SORRY[SIZE=1][FONT=Times][COLOR=black] biggrin.gif

[SIZE=7]I relate to you my deepest apologies for my previous post. My accusations and condemnations were baseless.

[SIZE=1]I have become very humbled by the experience. Usually I make these mistakes in private, so I usually don't have to face shame. The Internet changes that, but still the anonymity of the Internet protects us significantly from shame ph34r.gif.

[SIZE=14]I Was Wrong

[SIZE=7]I should have listened to the error messages I was given, but I senselessly thought that my case was special; it was the odd behaviour that made me think that: one time it's working, another time it's not. But what else can you expect from Windows, right? I should have gotten a clue from the fact that no one else was having the same problems I was. Again, I apologize for any alarm I may have created.

I simply took everything ASP.NET specific out of an ASP.NET page, and worked backwards (or forwards) from there. The reason I couldn't run the pages before is from the way the pages were configured. I recommend people set the mode attribute of the customErrors tag to "Off", and compile in debug mode, when debugging ASP.NET Web applications.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here