Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Site critique
Hostony Board > General > Anything and Everything
Dark Hedgehog
I thought I would post this for critique on my site.

I work long and hard on it with some people conrtibuting.
Some creidit goes to others for their help.

Anyways, critique is nice.

If you want to see my site, go here.
Niakie
I got an error when I first get to your page...

CODE
  <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
  .trail {
    border : none;
    background-color : #71380D;
    width : 180px;
    position : absolute;
    height : 200px;
    left : 20px;
    top : 175px;
    visibility : visible;
    z-index : 8;
    filter : alpha (opacity=50%);
}
</script>

should be

CODE
  <style type="text/css">
  .trail {
}
</style>

I didn't get much further then that at the moment wink.gif I'll check it out when I have some more time (just about dinner now) and let you know...
Dark Hedgehog
Alright, thanks.

And what error do you get?

I don't get any errors.

And if so, what browser are you using?
dragonfli
I get the error as well, I'm using IE 6
"syntax error"

By the way do you know Red Blaze?
He's another "Sonic" kinda guy who hosts via hostony.
MartinB
i get the same syntax error with IE6 in XP.
Dark Hedgehog
QUOTE(dragonfli @ May 15 2004, 01:08 PM)
I get the error as well, I'm using IE 6
"syntax error"

By the way do you know Red Blaze?
He's another "Sonic" kinda guy who hosts via hostony.

Yes, he asked me for affiliation, and, he reffered me here :P
Red Blaze
QUOTE(mblendinger @ May 15 2004, 04:08 PM)
i get the same syntax error with IE6 in XP.

I don't get those syntax errors and I'm also in IE6 in XP... Ooh, wait... alittle late but I get that error icon at the bottom corner. It says the following:

Line: 4
Char: 4
Error: Syntax Error
Code: 0

That's on the splash page.
Danimal
I too got the error message. Also, with that background, it's very difficult to read the text on the splash page. Also, it has this unforgivable error:
Sonic Dash is best viewed in 1024x768 in Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 and or most browsers.  If you want to experience the best resolution, please change your resolution from your resulution from 1024?768 to 1024x768

Thanks, I'll set my resolution how I want. You make your page look good on my monitor, not the other way around. This is a crucial error in web design. Make your page look good for others, don't make them adjust their settings for your page.

Once I got to the main page, though, it looked good. Well layed out and easy to navigate. In my opinion, simply eliminate the splash page. They're unnecessary anyway.
Dark Hedgehog
Nah, I like it there.

It gives people a warm and nice welcome.

And I am thinking of changing that too.

But I will look into that error.
LP_
If you want people's opinions...

I think the first page is too flashy. Too graphically loaded. Also as Danimal said, a lot of the text is hard to read: small font white or orange on a grey background? Grey on grey? Hit counters, awards, affiliate icons, etc. should not be on the first page. That's not content, and no it's not what will bring people to your site. It took me a second or two just to figure out wtf I was looking at and where to click to end this suffering. It probably makes dialup users cry (a rare breed I know, but still).

Sonic Dash is best viewed in 1024x768 in Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 and or most browsers.  If you want to experience the best resolution, please change your resolution from your resulution from 1024?768 to 1024x768
MSIE 4.0?? That's bad. At least say "and above" if that's what you meant. But generally, I agree 100% with Danimal. You think people surf around re-adjusting their screen resolution for every site out there?

Also, looking at your meta-tags I think you mixed up "Author" and "Keywords". Regardless, that's way too many keywords to have a positive impact on search engines.

<meta name="Author" content="Sonic, fan art, stories, fan fiction, sprites, sprite comics, comics, official sonic art, games, fan games, Dark Hedgehog, Janet Hedgehog, fan characters, shadow, amy, rouge, eggman, robotnik, e102, tikal, knuckles, tails, julie-sue, mina, archie comics, comic scans, sonic roms, roms">

Ah yeah, and I saw this..:

<meta name="copyright" content="&copy; 2000, 2001, 2003 &copy; Sonic Dash .:sonic speed:. Sonic Dash .:sonic speed:. is &copy; 2000-2003 Dark Hedgehog.  Anyone found using images, fan art or any graphics used in this site will be charged and fined.  Please do not steal images or content.  Doing so will cause you or your isp to be charged.  The adult content within this site is given permission to Dark Hedgehog to post adult material and offensive material.  If you find it offending, please do not enter the adult section." />

Aside from the last line or two, I think the implied threat is unlikely to stop anyone and looks just plain bad (I would almost say laughable). In general, don't make any threats, just write the copyrights. Don't say "please do not steal" either. If they want to do it, politely asking not to will not prevent it.

Off to the MAIN page (which really should be the FRONT page):

The header image is nice, I like that. The left navigation menu looks good too with the little Sonics in background. The top menu, however (Forums, Furry Finder, etc.) is hard to read, again perhaps choosing colors with more contrast for the icons would help.

Minor gripe, but the Paypal icon is on a secure (https) link. It makes an unecessary popup here from behind my corporate firewall (yeah, I'm browsing the net from work!). Try to find an icon on http://

Sorry if it sounds rude. I don't pretend to have any artistic abilities, but I've been looking at web pages for I forgot how many years.
Danimal
Hey LP, I didn't think it sounded rude, but rather honest. wink.gif

And just for the record--and though this may just be me--any page with a splash screen gets an automatic "Back button" from me.
Dark Hedgehog
Splash pages are usually for sites that aren't a company based site.
brikface
Splash pages made a splash back around 1999. Now they're just a pain in the azz. And the criticism about the resolution thing is correct too. Do you actually have it so people must scroll horizontally if they're under that resolution? That's bad. I don't believe in catering to some joker with cobwebs over his eyes using a 14.4 modem, Netscape 3 and a screen rez of 640x480, but you should design for 1024 while fitting everything on a fully expanded browser window at 800 rez.
Dark Hedgehog
I ###### at doing that.
RAGEnCHAOS
QUOTE(Niakie @ May 14 2004, 10:17 PM)
I got an error when I first get to your page...

CODE
  <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
  .trail {
}
</script>

should be

CODE
  <style type="text/css">
  .trail {
}
</style>

I didn't get much further then that at the moment wink.gif I'll check it out when I have some more time (just about dinner now) and let you know...

i agree i went and used AceHTML Pro 5 and did a Check Document

got
[Error] NoName(1).html (4): java script: Syntax error.
and it was referring to

CODE
Line 1<html>
Line 2<head>
Line 3   <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
Line 4   .trail {
Line 5    border : none;
Line 6    background-color : #71380D;
Line 7    width : 180px;
Line 8    position : absolute;
Line 9    height : 200px;
Line 10    left : 20px;
Line 11    top : 175px;
Line 12    visibility : visible;
Line 13    z-index : 8;
Line 14    filter : alpha (opacity=50%);
Line 15}
Line 16</script>

Line in question is

CODE
Line 4   .trail {

Replace the whole thing with

CODE
<style type="text/css">
  .trail {
}
</style>

and the syntax error will be fixed
its incorrect JavaScript Syntax

:-)
Dark Hedgehog
Changed it, thanks :P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here