Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Web tools (guestbooks, etc)
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
2ltrlg
Hello,
Do you offer "code libraries" for things such as guestbooks, forums, bloggers, etc. for your clients?

If so, how can I access them? If not, do you recommend a site that does?

I'm kinda new at this stuff, but would like to add some more functionality to my website, without having to learn it (all at once anyway).

Thanks
Alec
You can install all this stuff from fantastico interface in your control panel
2ltrlg
Hmm ...

Where can I access fantastico? I don't see it in my cPanel ... sorry, I am kinda new at this! (c:

BTW, I am hosted on your windows platform, does that matter?

Thanks!
Vanya
It does. There is no pre-installed scripts on Windows.
2ltrlg
Ah, I see. Does Hostony plan to offer pre-installed scripts in the future for it's Windows clients?

If not, do you recommend a site that has free scripts that I can use on my site?

Thanks
Stanly
Try this wink.gif
2ltrlg
This site has a ton of scripts. Thanks, but ...

Does Hostony plan to offer pre-installed scripts in the future for it's Windows clients?
Stanly
Not yet.
May be in the future, but I can't tell you exact date.
LP_
Most useful scripts are in languages that were made on Unix, for Unix (Perl, Python, PHP). Some (most?) will also run on Windows, but you can't expect to have the same choice on Windows hosting (a typically proprietary software developers' platform) than on Linux hosting (the archetype of open source/free software projects). I wouldn't be surprised if Fantastico for example (the script that auto-installs most other scripts here) was not yet ported to Windows. There are a few good scripts in ASP or even Java applets, but certainly not as many.

Bottom line, if you want tons of pre-made scripts and less installation hassles for them, you should go with what the majority of the web runs on -- Apache on Unix. It might be possible to change your hosting platform with Hostony.

That probably doesn't answer your question, but your post could make it look like it's a shortcoming on Hostony's part that there isn't more stuff available for Windows.. It's not, and it's not like they can just decide to port everything offered on Linux.
2ltrlg
Thanks.

I didn't realize there was that much of a difference (stupid me). I'll keep that in mind.

How hard would it be to switch to a UNIX hoting plan? biggrin.gif
Alexandre
It will be simply.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here