Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slow response times
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
jwilde
Our website has been responding slowly for some time now.

http://catallarchy.net/

Testing at DNSstuff.com yields mostly D's and F's. I have never gotten above a C. Here is the outcome:

Looking up at ns18.hostony.net.... Reports no A records (may be a referral).  39ms.
Looking up at ns19.hostony.net.... Reports 1 A record(s). 37ms.

Average of all 2 nameservers: 38ms (plus 1632ms overhead).

Score: F

Took off 3 points for ".net" TLD (extra lookups may be required to find the parent servers).
Took off 8 points for having no glue at a parent server [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 8 points for having no glue at a parent server [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 20 points since ns18.hostony.net does not respond authoritatively (can cause unexpected responses and add delays).

Note: The 1632ms overhead is the time it takes to get your NS records from the parent servers, and indicates a worst-case scenario (normally, the resolving DNS server would have the common parent server entries cached, and would know the parent server(s) that were responding most quickly). The best times since the last time this web server was last restarted are: 14ms average response, plus 92ms overhead. Note that these times are from a server located in the United States; if most of the people using your DNS are outside of the United States, your actual results may be better than what is shown here. A rating of 'B' or higher is generally good. This tool is designed to make an educated guess about speed, and to point out potential factors that may reduce the DNS speed, and it is not perfect.
Vanya
Check it now please.
DNS mark should be better now for your domain.
jwilde
Thank you. I'm getting A+'s now.
Vanya
Any time! =)
nsnipes
I am also getting poor score's for my domain bradleydavid.com

Looking up at ns16.hostony.net.... Reports no A records (may be a referral). 97ms.
Looking up at ns17.hostony.net.... Reports 1 A record(s). 89ms.

Average of all 2 nameservers: 93ms (plus 4971ms overhead).

Took off 20 points since ns16.hostony.net does not respond authoritatively (can cause unexpected responses and add delays).
Took off 4 points for >80ms average response time.

Note: The 4971ms overhead is the time it takes to get your NS records from the parent servers, and indicates a worst-case scenario (normally, the resolving DNS server would have the common parent server entries cached, and would know the parent server(s) that were responding most quickly). The best times since the last time this web server was last restarted are: 12ms average response, plus 97ms overhead. Note that these times are from a server located in the United States; if most of the people using your DNS are outside of the United States, your actual results may be better than what is shown here. A rating of 'B' or higher is generally good. This tool is designed to make an educated guess about speed, and to point out potential factors that may reduce the DNS speed, and it is not perfect.
Vanya
nsnipes
Please check it now.
nsnipes
It is much better now. I've also noticed that some of our other domains are recieving poor scores.

bradkimmel.com
dvdtvdirect.com
bdphollywood.com
dennisgage.com
dennisgage.net
dennisgage.org
myclassiccar.net
myclassiccar.org

What changes are you having to make in order to fix these? Why aren't they originally set up correctly?
Vanya
They looks ok.

I've fixed dennisgage.com

Cpanel can sometimes fail to add a slave zone to a secondary NS.
dingfelder
looking up my site (dingfelder.org) I get

Looking up at ns8.hostony.net.... [Had to look up A record for ns8.hostony.net; assume +200ms]...Reports 1 A record(s). 249ms.
Looking up at ns2.hostony.com.... [Had to look up A record for ns2.hostony.com; assume +200ms]...Reports no A records (may be a referral). 244ms.

Average of all 2 nameservers: 246ms (plus 950ms overhead).

Took off 3 points for ".org" TLD (extra lookups may be required to find the parent servers).
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns8.hostony.net [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns2.hostony.com [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 20 points since ns2.hostony.com does not respond authoritatively (can cause unexpected responses and add delays).
Took off 20 points for >200ms average response time.

It has been this way for over a month sad.gif
jwilde
Again, response times have been very slow:

Took off 3 points for ".net" TLD (extra lookups may be required to find the parent servers).
Took off 15 points for a nameserver timeout at ns19.hostony.net (causes lengthy delays and extra packets).
Took off 2 points since ns19.hostony.net allows recursive lookups (if lots of people are using the server, it can slow down).
Took off 25 points for >700ms average response time.

catallarchy.net
Stanly
Have a look at this http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ping.ch?ip=catallarchy.net wink.gif
dingfelder
try http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ping.ch?ip=dingfelder.org

I get: Error 11001 getting hostname of dingfelder.org.

Please get you DNS issues sorted out. this is happening way too frequently
Vanya
It looks ok for me
Pinging dingfelder.org [67.15.16.19]:

Ping #1: Got reply from 67.15.16.19 in 42ms [TTL=42]
Ping #2: Got reply from 67.15.16.19 in 44ms [TTL=42]
Ping #3: Got reply from 67.15.16.19 in 52ms [TTL=42]
Ping #4: Got reply from 67.15.16.19 in 48ms [TTL=42]
dingfelder
the problem is that is is very inconsistant. smetimes it is fast, while other times it gets no response. at times the server seems very unstable
dingfelder
I have posted several times over the last few months about the fact that I conisistantly get Fs on my domain dingfelder.org

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstime.ch?n...lder.org&type=A

can you please look into this?
Vanya
This can't be fixed.

Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns8.hostony.net [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns2.hostony.com [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].

This is because of registrar.

Took off 3 points for ".org" TLD (extra lookups may be required to find the parent servers).

This is because of .org TLD.
Rastus
I too get an "F"

Looking up at ns17.hostony.net.... [Had to look up A record for ns17.hostony.net; assume +200ms]...Reports 1 A record(s). 239ms.
Looking up at ns16.hostony.net.... [Had to look up A record for ns16.hostony.net; assume +200ms]...Reports 1 A record(s). 250ms.

Average of all 2 nameservers: 244ms (plus 407ms overhead).

Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns17.hostony.net [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 20 points since ns17.hostony.net does not respond authoritatively (can cause unexpected responses and add delays).
Took off 2 points since ns17.hostony.net allows recursive lookups (if lots of people are using the server, it can slow down).
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns16.hostony.net [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 20 points for >200ms average response time.
Vanya
I've fixed it on ns17.hostony.net(it didn't want to answer authoritatively) but the test gives F still because of .org TLD.
Rastus
I signed up for another acct with hostony. smile.gif but I am not doing good in school it seems.. my site is only getting a C sad.gif

2 sites with hostony and more coming..... Keep up the good work guys.. biggrin.gif

===========================================
Score: C

Took off 20 points since ns23.hostony.com does not respond authoritatively (can cause unexpected responses and add delays).
Took off 2 points since ns23.hostony.com allows recursive lookups (if lots of people are using the server, it can slow down).
Took off 2 points since ns24.hostony.com allows recursive lookups (if lots of people are using the server, it can slow down).

Note: The 196ms overhead is the time it takes to get your NS records from the parent servers, and indicates a worst-case scenario (normally, the resolving DNS server would have the common parent server entries cached, and would know the parent server(s) that were responding most quickly). The best times since the last time this web server was last restarted are: 26ms average response, plus 93ms overhead. Note that these times are from a server located in the United States; if most of the people using your DNS are outside of the United States, your actual results may be better than what is shown here. A rating of 'B' or higher is generally good. This tool is designed to make an educated guess about speed, and to point out potential factors that may reduce the DNS speed, and it is not perfect.
Stanly
Remind me your domain name.
Rastus
my4x4toys.com
Stanly
Have a look at http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ping.ch?ip=my4x4toys.com
As you can see 50ms is a response time. It is very good result.
umberto
I don't too often succeed in seeing my sites (centrotradizioneorale.net hazi.biz).
The loading is slow and it stops.
Umberto unsure.gif
Vanya
Your sites look ok for me to load...
umberto
Now all of my sites are out.
Umberto
Alec
umberto: What are they?
splufdaddy
scottconnor.com and talentnetwork.us also recieve a score of "F", sometimes taking over 1.7 seconds.
Alec
splufdaddy:

It is fixed partially. Score is C+ now

You should do one more fix:

Update name servers for your domains with your domain registrar from

NS2.HOSTONY.COM
NS8.HOSTONY.COM

to

NS2.HOSTONY.COM
NS8.HOSTONY.NET
splufdaddy
Thanks for the help. I made the changes on my end.
splufdaddy
Can we make these same type of changes to www.uhaforums.com? Right now it's not resolving
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here