Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Directory Question
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
jed
Question:

This is the first time I've had a Linux server and I was wondering where I can find a list of what each directory is for?

Here are the directories that I have:

-> .fantasticodata - Obviously this seems to be for Fantasico, is there anything special about it?
-> .neomail - Looks like this is for the neomail program, do you edit anything here?
-> .trash - Guessing the temporary trash bin for the file manager
-> etc - No clue?
-> mail - Don't know why I need neomail and this?
-> public_ftp - ?
-> public_html - regular html? Do all add-on domains go here too?
-> tmp - ?
-> www - ?

I've actually deleted the "www" directory but put it back. I'm guessing I put the real HTML in "public_html"?

Anyway, if anyone could give me short description of what each does that would be good.

Thanks,
Jed
Alec
etc - email settings, parameters of password-protected folders etc.
mail - it stores bodies of your email messages. All webmail clients work using this folder and its files.
public_ftp - directory for anonymous ftp access. If you don't have or needn't it you may remove the folder
tmp - folder for stats files
www is a symbolic link to public_html
jed
So when I deleted the "www" and created a "www" directory is it now not a symbolic link? I'm just wondering if I need to fill out a ticked to have Hostony put it back as it should be instead of me just creating a folder called "www".

---still getting used to the online file manager rolleyes.gif ---

Thanks,
Jed
Alec
You can create directory www instead of public_html but web server won't recognize it as a default web directory
jed
So what's the point of having a "www" and "public_html" directory? Is there any benefit?

Thank you for all the help!
-Jed
artrocity
QUOTE(jed @ Apr 28 2004, 01:11 PM)
So what's the point of having a "www" and "public_html" directory? Is there any benefit?

Thank you for all the help!
-Jed

less typing cool.gif
jed
lol... Are you seroious? dry.gif

Well, that's just crazy!! I think it's more ocnfusing to have it then to not (as long as I'm not loosing out on anything).

Anyway, thanks!
Jed
artrocity
Well you NEED that public_html folder
so don't go and delete that one !!!!

In fact i wouldnt delete anything thats
in your root folder that you didnt put there yourself.

Thats some important stuff there !! tongue.gif
jed
I didn't mean to but I was too quick with the clicking on the web-based file manager and deleted the "www" directory.

It's all good, I've figured out how I did it accidentally and I don't plan on doing it again cool.gif

Thanks,
Jed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here