Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: YaBB bulletin boards.
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
Carlos
I've read the aup and it would appear that YaBB would be disallowed here being CGI type, but it's not mentioned specifically. I would also mention that the new version, which is coming out within a few months, will utilise OOP script, and will be be very much less resourse hungry.

I have other questions, but unless I get a positive response to the above, it's mute.

Thanks.
Stanly
As it mentioned at our AUP you can't use more then 8% of processor time per minute by your scripts.
If your YaBB board will use less you can install it without any problems.
Carlos
Thanks fr the reply.

From your TOS:

Users may not initiate the following on our servers:

Run any process that requires more than 8Mb of memory space, more than 30 CPU seconds, or use more than 5% of all available system resources at any time.

Can you tell me what system resources are available on the servers: RAM, CPU speed, and disk size, so that I might better understand the figures quoted.

Thanks.
Alexandre
Please tell me what is your domain name?
Carlos
It's for a forum I'm about to create. It's not an an active domain at present. Why do you need to know? I can supply it, but it would achieve nothing I'm afraid.

I anticipate that the site would probably end up being quite busy. Although I've some experience with the running of bulletin boards, they been the ProBoards or similar type operations with supplied software. - So, I have no way of knowing what load they placed upon the servers they were on. If I can get a few more solid figures from here, I'll compare them from what the YaBB forum can tell me about the kind of loads a YaBB board might place on the servers here.

Thanks.
Stanly
I need to know your domain name to locate what server exactly it is located at.
If you're not our customer yet, I can tell you that as usual our servers have 4x2.4GHz CPU, 2Gb RAM, ~80-160 Gb Disk Space.
Carlos
QUOTE(Stanly @ Apr 21 2004, 09:29 PM)
If you're not our customer yet, I can tell you that as usual our servers have 4x2.4GHz CPU, 2Gb RAM, ~80-160 Gb Disk Space.

Hey, that's why I posted in 'Pre-Sales Questions'! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info. I need to find out what kind of load the YaBB forum might place on the servers here, and I'll ask for advice from YaBB. (I wouldn't wont to move here if I'm likely to have to have to move again). I'm sure this info will help.

Thanks.
Alexandre
System requirements to install YaBB
# A web hosting account
# Perl 5 (or higher) installed on the server your web account is on
# CGI.pm v2.4+ and Socket.pm modules installed on the server your web account is on
# At least 1 MB of diskspace on your webspace account; over 3 MB recommended
# Sendmail (for Linux/Unix) or SMTP (for Windows/NT or Linux/Unix); optional, but recommended

Our server's configuration satisfied requirements YaBB.
Carlos
Alexandre, the sticking point would probably be how much system resources YaBB would take up. I'm still not sure about that, but I do know that the present version of YaBB is more hungry that the main alternatives. The new version (a few months away), will be far less hungry.

I'll return here when I am more sure of the resources required.

Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here