Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gzip compression
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
ChrisP
My website's index page is a PHP based CMS and I have the option to enable gzip compression. From what I have read about gzip, it compresses the content that is downloaded when someone views my website for faster access but it adds more load to the server.

Is gzip enabled on my server? and if so, would the added server load be significant?

My site is just a hobby for me so I would rather anyone visiting it have to wait a little for a download than add more load to the server. smile.gif

Thanks,
Chris

chrispysworld.com
Serge
Gzip is avaliable on all servers. Even more by default we enabled compresion for .html .htm pages to sppedup surfing for our customers.

You can safely enable it. It ads up to the overal server load but decreases connection time for the web server to serve particular source, so on a normal webserver it just speedups page load and don't overload server, however if poorely configured or misused gzip can kill a server.
Rastus
So who is right, Serge or Phobos?

since Serge is the owner I tend to believe him, but Phobos is a sysadmin so I might believe him... cool.gif then again gzip is a compression tool, so they both might be compressed into one and the same using split personalites and just trying to out do the other one hey??? biggrin.gif

but I might have brain damage and be off my rocker as well........ ph34r.gif
Alexandre
Nice joke. smile.gif rolleyes.gif
Rastus
thankyou biggrin.gif ..... but since Phobos deleted his post mine seems a lil wierd, huh
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here