Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: confusion about addon domains
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
dingfelder
Ok, I have a number of questions that I found confusing in the existing documentation.

My situation is a common one I think. I want to be able to resell new websites for my own customers.

What I want to do is make

site1.com
site2.com
site3.com

1. If I have the standard bulk reseller account, do I use the cPanel tool and make "add On" domains to accomplish that? If so do I get an unlimited number of them with the reseller account?

I tried to make an addon domain and it appeared to create a subdomain to my primary domain.

For example:
if my domains is www.mydomain.com
i made a new domain called www.newdomain.com using the addon domain icon
It created newdomain.mydomain.com

That looks like a subdomain to me.

2. Im confused about that because there is another icon in cPanel that is named "subdomain". What is the difference between subdomains and addon domains ?

3. Or, if addon domains are not how I should make my new domains, do I accomplish this through using the webHost manager to make a 3 new accounts? (which are free to me and i can resell).

4. From what I understand, the standard reseller account account allows you to create an unlimited number of accounts, (just limited by the size and bandwith restrictions, with no additonal cost for new domains to get added to my account).

If this info is not correct, please let me know

If that is the case, here are some assumptions im making:

A. This account would have a domain name (dingfelder.org) that I defined when I made the new account
B. I should already already own this domain (I do, through godaddy.com)
C. I should set it so that it's DNS servers are =
ns8.hostony.net and ns2.hostony.com (I did)
D Your DNS servers would resolve my domain to some directory on your system ?

5. Assuming I have all that right, where is it's home directory and how whould I have known that information without asking it here?

6. Also, what is the login info for this domain ? (I tried maing a new account, then to log into cPanel with the user/pass that I made when I created the account. It did not let me in.)

last question.

7. Can i copy files from one account to another since I own them both? I assume this would be using ssh. I know you can "get in trouble" if you try and look at or copy people's stuff that is not your own on the server using ssh, I just need to be very clear on what the correct paths are so I dont do something by mistake.
Stanly
You will be able to create accounts with standalone domain names.
You tried to do this via CPanel but not WHM (reseller panel).

2. Im confused about that because there is another icon in cPanel that is named "subdomain". What is the difference between subdomains and addon domains ?
Addon domain is full-functional domain name.
Subdomain - E.g. http://some.domain.com

Or, if addon domains are not how I should make my new domains

You will create new accounts via RESELLER panel.

If that is the case, here are some assumptions im making:

A. This account would have a domain name (dingfelder.org) that I defined when I made the new account
Yes, but you will have to register this domain name. If you will do this through our company it will cost you $14.85 for year per domain.

D Your DNS servers would resolve my domain to some directory on your system ?
Exactly.

6. Also, what is the login info for this domain ? (I tried maing a new account, then to log into cPanel with the user/pass that I made when I created the account. It did not let me in.)
You will see it after creation of account at your reseller panel.

7. Can i copy files from one account to another since I own them both? I assume this would be using ssh. I know you can "get in trouble" if you try and look at or copy people's stuff that is not your own on the server using ssh, I just need to be very clear on what the correct paths are so I dont do something by mistake.
Yes, you can.
Path is /home/username for each account where username is customer's account name at the server.
dingfelder
now im confused.

You will be able to create accounts with standalone domain names.
You tried to do this via CPanel but not WHM (reseller panel).
Addon domain is full-functional domain name.
Subdomain - E.g. http://some.domain.com

If I want to create a site with it's own domain, should it be made through WHM as you stated above, or should I make an addon domain, which you also said is a fully functional domain name?

I know what a sub domain is. I think I dont understand the difference between an addon domain and a standalone domain name.
Stanly
If you need to have a standalone account you need to create it in WHM.
If you need to create an another domain name for existing account your need to do this in CPanel via Addon domains.
dingfelder
So the end result (from a user perspective) is the same,
the only difference is that the one created by WHM is administerable by a seperate login ?

And with the bulk reseller plan, i can make as many of either as I want ?
Alexandre
WebHost Manager is the control center of the CPanel/WebHost Manager package. It is used to set up and manage accounts, monitor bandwidth and services, and much more - all aspects of web hosting are covered through WebHost Manager. You can keep track of the accounts on your server, their bandwidth, and disk space usage, and more with only an Internet connection and the click of a button.

CPanel is a fully featured web-based control panel that allows you to manage your domain through a web interface. The idea is to transfer as much of the control and responsibility of managing your web site to you. You have the ability to manage all aspects of e-mail, files, backup, FTP, CGI scripts, and web site statistics.

An addon domain is a domain name that that points to a subdirectory within your account. For example, you may want innovation.org.nz to point to business.org.nz/innovation/. Addon domains must be registered domain names that you own and configured to point to your web site's servers.

Subdomains are a way of creating separate accounts within your master account, which are accessed as separate URLs. For example, you could set up a "timber" subdomain on your master account "hardware.org.mart", which would be accessed as "timber.hardware.org.mart". A lot of larger businesses use subdomains to establish branding and focus on separate product lines, because a subdomain creates a separate URL and web presence. However, you do not create a new CPanel when you create a subdomain. You still perform most administration functions for the subdomain through your master CPanel.

Practically, a subdomain is a sub folder within the public_http level of your account that has it's own cgi-bin directory. The "timber" example above creates a new top-level folder called timber, with a cgi-bin sub-folder. Upload your files for the subdomain to this location, including a separate home file (such as index.htm).
dingfelder
I appreciate your quick response however the info you provided is basically the same as the cPanel documentation, which I found lacking (thus the question I am posting)

The docs I read (which you got your info from as well I assume) are on http://www.cpanel.net/docs/cp/AddonDomains.htm

My question was:

So the end result (from a user perspective) is the same,
the only difference is that the one created by WHM is administerable by a seperate login ?
I assume from your last post is that the answer to my question is: "yes, to and end user, (someone accessing the domain) it would not matter which method was used to create the domain, only the administration of the domain would be different"

Also, any answer for this question?

And with the bulk reseller plan, i can make as many of either as I want ?

So now stumbling through the example from the cpanel.net docs (and the hostony tutorial) I again created my addon domain but cant get the redirection to work.

My server is www.computingasyoulikeit.com

I added the addon domain of www.dingfelder.org

That seemed simple enough, but now im back to the same part that caused my initial confusion:

How do I setup redirection for the addon domain so that traffic to dingfelder.org gets magically translated into the subdir dingfelder, which equates to www.computingasyoulikeit.com/dingfelder

If I go to www.computingasyoulikeit.com I see my main site as expected.
If I go to www.computingasyoulikeit.com/dingfelder I see my addon domain as expected.
if I go to dingfelder.org, it points me to my main site (www.computingasyoulikeit.com)

What would be real useful (for others I assume as well) would be a simple step by step checklist for how to do common tasks:

1 Once a web page for my primary domain works, how can I get a second domain running so that I administer both my domains through cPanel (steps to create addon domain through cPanel and then how to set up redirection for the new domain)

2. How do I set up a domain so that it can be administered by a seperate admin (steps to create through WHM and how to set up redirection for the new domain)

I know the first part of question 1 is covered in the tutorial you put together but the redirection part seems to not be there as far as I can tell.
Stanly
1. I've already answered to your e-mail about redirection.
2. There is not only CPanel documentation. Here is also WHM documentation: CLICK HERE cool.gif
There is step-by-step instructions HowToDoEverything.
dingfelder
Clearly, I am missing something.

2. There is not only CPanel documentation. Here is also WHM documentation: CLICK HERE 
There is step-by-step instructions HowToDoEverything.
I have read both all the cPanel info I could find, and the WHM docs you referred to.

I agree that the docs do list how to create a domain.

The part I found lacking is the portion on how to get the redirection set up.

In your message you referred to the email you sent me
I've already answered to your e-mail about redirection.

Unfortunately, in that message, all you did was refer me to the docs and say
This redirection is already automatically set up by CPanel.

Sorry to be a pain but as I listed in my message below, if I go to dingfelder.org (the new addon domain), it points me to my main site (www.computingasyoulikeit.com) which is not at all what I want.

If I go to www.computingasyoulikeit.com/dingfelder I do see my addon domain as expected so I assume the addon domain is working.

What do I need to do to get dingfelder.org to automatically display the contents of www.computingasyoulikeit.com/dingfelder ?

So, cPanel should handle all the redirection setup for me and I should have no redirection setup to do ?

I know im not the only one out there who thinks this area is fuzzy, which is why I was continuing this thread here.
Stanly
I've answered to your e-mail again now smile.gif
Please choose one way of the communication: e-mail or forum. There is no need to duplicate your e-mails here.

As I told you your addon domain name is not propagated yet. You can see at the link in my e-mail that your domain name is pointed to our server.
So please just wait while propagation will be finished (up to 72 hours as usual).
dingfelder
Sorry to confuse the matter for you by posting to email and the forums.

I only posted here to share this info with the rest of the community since the info provided in my emails is obviously not shared with the public.

The reason I did the email post as well, was to speed up response since I did not know how quickly you would respond here in the forums. Now that I understand that you are checking these posts frequently, I will stop sending unnecessary emails smile.gif

The part that confuses me is that the new addon domain does resolve to your DNS server, which it did within 24 hours of my setting it up. The only thing it did not do is to add the subdirectory to it's resolution. It resolves to the root of my public_html dir, not to the subdomain's subdirectory as it should.

If the site is truly functional and I only have to wait, I am fine with that, but I do believe you should add that to your tutorials and FAQs so that is more clear.

Thanks,

Andy
dingfelder
Still no luck (created it on thursday and it is now sunday)

As I said previouly, dns was resolving correctly to your server within 24 hrs, it is ony the addon domain name that is not getting appended correctly.

Clearly waiting 24-72 hrs did not help. sad.gif

Now what ?

Just to be clear, this is what I am seeing:
http://www.computingasyoulikeit.com shows my main site as expected.
http://dingfelder.org points to my main site (www.computingasyoulikeit.com) which is wrong
http://www.computingasyoulikeit.com/dingfelder shows my dingfelder.org addon domain as expected.
Stanly
I've just answered to your e-mail.
It is you local ISP problem. Your addon domain name is seen for all over the world but not for you.
Try to contcat your local ISP support tech.
dingfelder
well good news is that domain now works.

But, im still curious why it is now working.

in your last message, you said:

It is you local ISP problem. Your addon domain name is seen for all over the world but not for you

I disagree with that. I called up 2 friends that had not ever been to the site (so caching could not affect them), and were on different ISPs than me (one in North Carolina and one in Colorado) and they validated that they saw the exact same thing that I did.

Did anything on the server (DNS entries etc) change ?

Thanks again for the help,

Andy
Vanya
Try to ping a domain.
You should get
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ping.ch?ip=dingfelder.org
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here