Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Change from Linux to Windows
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Martijn
Hello, due my need for ASP support I am considering asking you to change my account over from linux to a windows host. From the support via ICQ I found out that this is possible at no extra charge (great service!).

A couple of questions though :

a) How long does a transfer to Windows take ?
cool.gif How does your windows hosting availability/performance rate to the linux one ?
c) Can we plan a transfer so that I can start checking functionality of my sites immediately afterwards?
d) Can MySQL databases and functionality (Forums/guestbooks) be moved as well ?
e) Do I have to re-configure all the mail and server settings I have now (or can it be transferred) ?

(I am asuming that I have to re-script the cgi,pl,php that I have now)

Thanks in advance! I am seriously considering it, just trying to oversee the impact.

Regards,
Martijn
Alec
a) How long does a transfer to Windows take ?

We can transfer data in about an hour but dns propagation of your domains may take upto 72 hours

cool.gif How does your windows hosting availability/performance rate to the linux one ?

I can't exactly answer your question. There are different platforms and sme applications work faster on Linux, other applications work faster on Windows. Also each operating system has features which are absent in another OS (e.g. ASP, postgresql, imap etc, MS Access databases etc.). So it depends on what soft your sites use. As for me I like unix based systems more but it is just my subjective opinion.

c) Can we plan a transfer so that I can start checking functionality of my sites immediately afterwards?

We can create a test account for you on windows server and you will be able to test a windows server without starting a transfer. If you will be satisfied by windows server efficiency and reliability we'll switch your account right now

d) Can MySQL databases and functionality (Forums/guestbooks) be moved as well ?

You will be forced to reconfigure your mysql databases and email manually but we'll copy images of your databases to a new server and upload them after you re-create databases in control panel

e) Do I have to re-configure all the mail and server settings I have now (or can it be transferred) ?

As I said above email settings can't be transferred

As for scripts your will have to edit them (change relative paths etc)
But if ASP is a reason of transfer you can build your site in ASP completely
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here