Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windows Plan appears to Lack Key Features
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
wildclay
dry.gif

I've just set up a new domain for a colleage of mine, called www.momentunforlife.org

We decided to try hosting this on a Windows plan, but it appears that Windows offers us far less options thatn Linux, even though the Hostony site states that Windows offers many of the same options. The Helm control panel is far more limited than cPanel:

- There appears to be no option to setup mailing lists

- No options to setup IMAP (SMTP) mail, only POP3

- No password protected directories

- No DNS management section in the control panel as stated

All these features are advertised with the Windows plan, but none exist. I can not get IMAP via the Outlook or Netscape e-mail programs to work, only POP3. I had to get an ASP script to setup a password protected directory. I've run IIS servers before, I know it's possible to have password protected directories.

Now maybe I was given the wrong Helm control panel to log into? The one I'm accessing is: http://69.93.137.162:8086/ It does not appear to have anywhere near as many features as the Linux cPanel.

Here's my domain information to help you take a look. I may need to switch over to Linux if Windows can not offer me the features that are stated.

Domain: http://www.momentumforlife.org/
Web Server: ISS01

Thank you,
Casey

P.S. You should create a Comparison section comparing the strengths and weaknesses between Windows and Linux, and why or why not one may be better than the other based on a person's hosting needs.
Serge
- There appears to be no option to setup mailing lists
It was never advertised among possible optons for windows plans.

- No options to setup IMAP (SMTP) mail, only POP3
The same. IMAP support was not ever advertised for windows plans. only POP3 and authentificated SMTP supported for windows plans

- No password protected directories
This feature can be setup manually for the windows account. Please contact support if you need it setup.

- No DNS management section in the control panel as stated
DNS management is avaliable for reseller plans. We advertise MX record change for shared hosting plans and it is avaliable. We also enbled DNS management for you since you need it.

The only reason for someone to chose windows plan is because of the aplications they develop in ASP. For all other cases the right choice is linux.

Please rememebr that windows is commercial operation suystem and the re is no way to offer the same wast majority of features for windows plans as for Linux plans forthe same price. So for windows plans we offer a basic set of features one may need on windows hosting.

Features that we provide with windows plans satisfies 99% of our customers usingwindows. Certainly there is not limit for perfection but on tghe other hand there are limited budgets.
wildclay
Thank you for your reply, Serge.

I understand their are differences, I just wanted some clarification. I just wanted to see if the Windows plans could offer some of the same features.

I think we may switch this over to Linux. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here