Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subdomain Help
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Barrin!
I know this is a stupid question, but how do you access your subdomains? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
phobos
What do you mean "access subdomain":
Access your site through browser?
or FTP access?
Barrin!
Well, file manager style, if you know what I mean. I never could get any FTP working.

EDIT: I did gain ftp access through BulletProofFTP, but is this possible through a regular web browser?
phobos
Provide me information about your main domain and is subdomain.

Advice:
To use FTP your need some FTP client such as CuteFTP.
To avoid problem accessing your FTP-account use 'passive ftp mode' in your FTP client.
Barrin!
barrin.net, subdomain pularin (pularin.barrin.net)

Could you please tell me how to access my subdomain via FTP, i thought I had it, but I didn't.
phobos
It is not recomended to access your ftp account via regular web browser because it may can not support passive ftp mode and not all browsers allow to browse site that require authorization.

Please download some ftp client and try to connect your domain.
All details how to create account, setup access to subdomain you can read in your Cpanel.
Barrin!
Yes, like I said, I use BulletProofFTP

Anyhow, from what I gathered from the cPanel help, is that I have to make an ftp account with the same name as the subdomain, which I did. This created a folder of the same name in my public_html directory, which is the subdomain's folder, correct?

In this case, these two urls would bring me to the same place:
subdomain.domain.com
domain.com/subdomain

This would make subdomain.domain.com/forum an impossible location for the phpbb message board that comes with cpanel, wouldn't it?
Vanya
You can always move forum's files to any folder of your account. It should work than anyway...
Barrin!
So it is possible to create a forum at domain.com/forum, then move that folder and it's contents to domain.com/subdomain/forum, and it would still work?
Alec
Yes, but you need to change forum configuration (change paths)
Barrin!
Is this difficult? Could you explain it to me, please?

Thanks,
Barrin
Toph1980
This would make subdomain.domain.com/forum an impossible location for the phpbb message board that comes with cpanel, wouldn't it?

Nope, installing it on a subdomain works biggrin.gif

just select your subdomain.maindomain.com domain from the drop down menu and add /yourforumname to the forum path (folder where you want to install the forum)

Anyway, if you want to do it otherwise here's how to chance the script path:

I'm unsure about Invisionboard as I'm mainly used to phpBB2 (plus even) but here's how to do it in phpBB2:

1) install phpBB2

2) Go to your forum and login as administrator

3) Click on the 'Go to Administration Panel' (all the way in the bottom)

4) Click on 'Configuration' from the Admin menu on the left

5) 3rd option from the top is named SCRIPT PATH and it will say something like /phpBB2/ (which is the folder where you installed the forum)

6) Set the new path you are about to use (which will cause the forum to fail and go offline, but as soon as you have moved it to the new path it will work again):

Ex: If you install phpBB2 on subdomain.maindomain.com/phpBB2/

your scriptpath will be /phpBB2/

If you now wish to move it to subdomain.maindomain.com/subfolder1/subfolder2/phpBB2/

just set the scriptpath to /subfolder1/subfolder2/phpBB2/

That's it wink.gif

Note: Invisionboard is more advanced and faster than phpBB2 as it is optimised especially to work with MySQL databases while phpBB2 is easier to tweak and support miscellaneous SQL formats. Other forums are not recommended as they're crap wink.gif

Hope I enlightened you

Regards
Toph1980
Toph1980
Oh and about accessing your subdomain through FTP:

FTP Host Address: your webserver's IP address
FTP Site Username: subdomain@maindomain.com
FTP Site Password: password you set for the FTP account

FTP Accounts are created from CPanel / FTP Manager / FTP Accounts

while subdomains are created from CPanel / Subdomains

Note: Also remember to set the FTP login type within your FTP Client to 'Normal' and *NOT* to 'Anonymous'
Toph1980
Barrin did it help?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here