Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More silly questions
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Klogg
I'm not very experianced at making websites and I find the control panel a little confusing. I'd really love it if you could explain a few simple things to me.
1) What are the all those defult folders for?
2) Do I have to put my website files in a certain folder or name them a certain name to connect them to my domain name?
3) When I go to my domain name I come up with an error telling me I are not authorized to view this page, how do I change that to make my own website actually appear?
Alec
1) What are the all those defult folders for?

If you are on linux hosting the following folder are designed for:

etc - your mail and password settings
public_ftp - anonymous ftp server
public_html - web documents, images and scripts
tmp - statistics and temprorary files
www - is a link to public_html

The same for windows:

db - databases
logs - http log files
wwwroot - web documents, images and scripts

2) Do I have to put my website files in a certain folder or name them a certain name to connect them to my domain name?

As mentioned above you should put websites files in folder public_html or wwroot depending on your operating system,

) When I go to my domain name I come up with an error telling me I are not authorized to view this page, how do I change that to make my own website actually appear?

Please tell me your domain and I'll look. I suspect that your folder doesn't have start file and directory listing is prohibited by web server
Klogg
Thanks for the help with the folders ^__^

My domain is www.drifting-dreams.com It's probally my fault it doesn't work. I wasn't putting my stuff in that wwwroot folder
Stanly
You're right.
You need to upload index.html file to your wwwroot directory to get it displayed at drifting-dreams.com
Klogg
Trying to do that but it's not letting me upload anything to the wwwroot folder or any of the subfolders.

I feel like such an idiot.

Eidt: Think I've got it >_<
Alec
http://drifting-dreams.com/

I open it and it shows me

OMG this is totally a page, and it totally works
Klogg
... yeah I kinda put that there out of frustration. mellow.gif

Thanks for your help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here