Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Consistantly Down
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Bluefin221
My site has been down everyday more than once each day aswell. I'm really at a loss as to what I should do I have not tried working on the site for over 10 days through all this and I've lost numerous customers and visitors plus already existing members this is really frustrating guys.

The fact that I'm never informed infuriates me further as I could handle this if I knew what was going on.

calton221.com is my server.
Rastus
Add Texas4x4.org to this list. sad.gif
Bluefin221
I know Rastus I had been looking at your site if you remember through a private conversation we had. I have no idea where my server is located or whether I qualify for this supposed upgarde - when the upgarde happens and what it actually does for me. Considering that no-one would want hosted with me now as my server is always down it seems like a waste of time mad.gif
Rastus
Bluefin221, I feel your pain. Kinda makes it hard to get customers when your own site is constantly down

Yep, The dependability of Hostony is gone, Now it's just a guessing game as to when and for how long the site is up.

I'm on Server 18, I sent a request to support to find out what server I'm on a cpl weeks ago when all this downtime began.

I had nightmares moving the site to my previous host, and did a lot of looking before I choose Hostony, asked questions on different forums and such and Hostony was always @ the top. I think what has happened is they have outgrown themselves and have to many clients on each server.

I'm curious as to how many servers they actually use for thier hosting. I'm also curious if the Virtual server customers and the dedicated server customers are experiencing these kind of issues.

It's evident they have no spare drives in house and thier RAID configurations are not pristine. Apparently the servers do not have hotswap capabilities either or no one would ever notice when a HDD is replaced.

Hostony needs to find some investors and buy a SAN with a few terabytes of disk space, or they should not accept any new customers until they have stabilized the customers they currently have. They also need to research the word "redundancy", "cluster" and "uptime"

As for the free upgrade, I'm not interested in freebies, I just want my site to be up an stay up.
Bluefin221
Ok now all my e-mails have vanished and I was waiting on some very important information I have been trying to set up affiliates and also a radio station and I won't bloody know if anyone has contacted me this is getting beyond a joke.
Serge
Rastus

In fact as you can see through our disaster recovering history. We have even spare servers, not just drives. Server 18 was completely replaced (except HDDs) last week and recompiled kernel. From Saturday till today server worked without any problems. As we told we compensate customers on the server 18. Now we are looking what caused recent downtime and basing on our findings we'll rake measures to avoid downtime. In case we won't find anything we'll copy all accounts to new servers with everything new inclusding HDD. The copy wo0n't should bring any downtime sisce both servers will be online and once data will be copied we'll just repoint nameservers to the new server.

So now we did the following:

1. Backed up all customers data of teh server 18 today (17 march) to have recent backup.
2. Built a new server (Dual XEON 2.4/ 2 GIG RAM 2 SCSI drives)
3. Investigating what caused recent downtime and defining our further actions.

On the other server that died we had a RAID 5 array and it had hotswap capabilities, but what died was a RAID card not HDDS. RAID card before dying corrupted dat on all 3 drives and data was unrecoverable. Server was restored from backup.
Rastus
thankyou Serge for the information. I know you have been working around the clock to resolve these issues, and I am grateful for your work and that of your team.

I look forward the the end of these issues.
Serge
Thanks, for understanding and support. We are still checking teh server to find the real source of the problem because previous fixed did not helped.

If we won't find it within next 2-3 hours we'll just copy accounts to the new server. it already configured and loaded with Cpanel license.
Rastus
QUOTE(Serge @ Mar 17 2004, 02:20 PM)
Thanks, for understanding and support. We are still checking teh server to find the real source of the problem because previous fixed did not helped.

If we won't find it within next 2-3 hours we'll just copy accounts to the new server. it already configured and loaded with Cpanel license.

Any updates??
Alec
We are transferring all accounts on another server will switch dns for all domains after checking
Rastus
How much longer do you estimate?
Alec
About a week
Rastus
That is not even funny mad.gif
ChrisP
Thanks for the updated info.
My site has been up and down like crazy also the last few days, but I have been following the posts here so I have not bothered you guys.
I am glad to hear that we are being moved to a new server and hope that this fixes everything once and for all.
As for the downtime, my website is strictly a hobby so I am more than happy with the account upgrade as compensation.

For those of you trying to run a business, I can understand you are upset, but I also understand that these things happen. At my previous webhost, my site was completely deleted and thier only response was "Oops, sorry." and left it up to me to re-upload everything. SO I did re-upload everything, but I did it here. Anytime I have had a problem, tech support has been very quick and very helpful, even when the problem was something that I had done wrong. And no, I don't work for Hostony laugh.gif , Just voicing my thoughts on the whole server 18 problem.

Thanks again for the update info.

Chris
Serge
As we discovered we have a problem with cache cheap of the system HDD the other HDD where user data are stored is fine. System HD is under heavy use because data are not cached and it is very hot. That's why we got kernel reports about CPU#0. HDD produce so much warm that blade fans cannot compensate it and that's why whole server hardware replacement did not help.

So, now we are transfering accounts to other server we prepared. Yesterday night we tried to move all the accounts at once (It would take about 10 hours), but it killed the server since HDD use increased on the old server.

In order to avoid killing old server when moving accounts we move everything manually. We start first with busy sites to make load on the old server HDD and once they are moved we should be able to move the rst of the accounts using Cpanel tools.

We are trying to avoid lengthy downtime, that's why the move is a bit longer than expected.
Rastus
are y'all still working on this or has it been completed? I see in my error logs the site has been done pretty much all day. sad.gif sad.gif
Alec
Your mysql issue was caused that you mysql settings were incompatible.

When your create a mysql database or user in control panel cpanel adds your system username as a prefix. In other words, database names and username must be compound according to cpanel structure, for example: username_database.

Your username was a simple and after every cpanel demon restart your privileges had been corrupted and your site was going down. i've changed your config file and the site works correctly now
Rastus
thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here