Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Addon domains
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
DanGates
I signed up for the special plan for 10 full domains on one account. I have already setup capecomputerman.com and it is working. I need to also setup the following floridasungifts.com, foamwizardinc.com, stormtechshitters.com, and danielgates.com. I don't know how to do this. I need to point DNS tho my account. All were registered here can you help? I need to know exactly step by step how to configure the addon domains in the control panel. Please help. Thanks.
Alec
Set
Name Servers:
ns8.hostony.net
ns2.hostony.com
for all your domains on this server.

To add a domain to your web site:

- Click on the Addon Domains button on the home page.
- Enter the domain name in the New Addon Domain field.
- Add the directory that the addon domain points to in the Username/directory name field.
- Enter the password for the domain in the Password field, if required.
- Click on the Add button.
DanGates
Serge just e-mailed me and told me that I had to add them to my main domain www.capecomputerman.com. Your web site said nothing of this when I signed up. My customers don't want to have their website names www.foamwizardinc.capecomputerman.com, or stormtechshutters.capecomputerman.com, or floridasungifts.capecomputerman.com. Your special plan said, "Host 10 domains with one big plan" I had no idea, and now it is too late, I already switched my main account, and paid six months in advance. I was with you guys before and left. This ######s.
Alec
You will be able to host 10 separate domains with your plan.
When you create an addon domain in control panel it creates an
additional subdomain more. So, for example, the addon domain will be available as
both Foamwizardinc.com and Foamwizardinc.capecomputerman.com
joeohlandt
OK, what is the difference in what you are writing here and a sub domain?

( EDITED: SORRY I READ IT WRONG.)
DanGates
Would it be possible for you guys to go into my control panel and setup www.foamwizardinc.com under my main account www.capecomputerman.com so I can see how to do it? maybe I should stick to PC repair, this BS is way too complicated.
Alec
I've found out it.
You were not able to add domains which point to another servers.
Now you can create addon domains without problem
sorry for the caused inconveniences.
DanGates
No inconvienience if I can get it to work. You guys are very fast to repond. My last host would not respond to any support questions at all.
DanGates
I see you guys added foamwizardinc.com as an addon domain, thanks. Now how do I upload from frontpage to this domain it isn't working. I can upload my main domain just fine. Foamwizardinc.com doesn't seem to exist when I try to publish with frontpage.
Alec
Frontpage doesn't work for addon domains.
To upload files open your main website in frontpage and upload all files in folder foamwizardinc
flamesrock
Hi,

My site was on server 18. Now I'm trying to re-add a domain. Which nameservers do I use?

ns8.hostony.net
ns2.hostony.com

don't seem to work

This is the error I get:

The subdomain, aaronelbaz.simcitysphere.com has been added.

Nameserver ips for dyslexitek.com are: 209.152.178.152,67.15.36.4 Bind reloading on server21 using rndc Error reloading bind on server21: rndc: connection to remote host closed This may indicate that the remote server is using an older version of the command protocol, this host is not authorized to connect, or the key is invalid.
Created DNS entry for dyslexitek.com

-Thanks
DanGates
I can't figure this out! Why does it let me install frontpage extensions in my addon domain if i can't use frontpage? I added the folder, foamwizardinc in my main account like you said and it doesn't work. Also, I have to move a fully functional ecommerce site as an addon. Foamwizardinc.com is a new site. If I cannot get foamwizardinc to work, then I cannot move the ecommerce site and I am running out of time. I find it hard to believe that nobody in the company can tell me how to do it. I guess it boils down to this, I don't have enough knowledge to figure this out myself, and If I can't get this setup somehow then being on this host is pointless. Can someone tell me how this #%&$@ addon domain works. My main account is capecomputerman.com, I need to add floridasungifts.com, foamwizardinc.com, and stormtechshutters.com on this one account. I need specific instruction on how to set this up. So far the only thing that works is capecomputerman.com. Thanks people. biggrin.gif
LP_
DanGates, the 10-domains plan is all in the same filespace (/www), under the same root domain. It's just a trick of the web server's configuration that makes it look like distinct domains to users (but it's completely transparent to them, no worries).

Meaning you have rootdomain.com, you want to add domain1.com as an addon domain. You do it through the cPanel with a password and username/subdomain/subfolder (same for all 3).

What really happens is: domain1.com gets added as a subdomain of rootdomain.com, meaning you can access it as domain1.subdomain.com.

It's documents will be in a subfolder of rootdomain.com, meaning:
/www/index.html -> index for rootdomain.com
/www/domain1/index.html -> index for domain1.com

You can access domain1.com with:
http://domain1.rootdomain.com/index.html or
http://rootdomain.com/domain1/index.html

However, the web server and DNS configuration makes it so that you can also access domain1.com as you intended (as a distinct domain), meaning
http://domain1.com

But all it's files are still in a subdirectory of rootdomain.com and you will always be able to access it through the other addresses above (although javascript or PHP can also fix that so that your users must access it through the distinct address and don't get mixed up in subdomains).

Ok, now if you've followed me through all this, the following points are important:
1. It's meaningless to have Frontpage (or any program to transfer files) point to a subdomain, since it's all under the root domain. You can actually set Dreamweaver or other HTML editors to accept the correct subdir as root dir for that site, but Frontpage has server-side components that preclude this trick, because server-side it's all the same filespace.

2. It's the same for a bunch of other features: Index Manager doesn't work on subdomains, because as far as files are concerned it's all subdirectories so to lock the index of the rootdir of a subdomain, you lock that subdirectory in your filespace. All your SQL tables are in the same place and are visible throughout all your 10 domains.

3. If you erase the domain1.rootdomain.com subdomain that's auto-created by cPanel when you create your addon domain, things will go horribly wrong, because it will break the magic.

4. All the features that really need to work with subdomains, do: email, mailing lists, ftp.. all are configurable per subdomain.

Hope that helps. Don't thank me, I'm just trying to free up the staff so they can work on the reverse-DNS problem with server17 wink.gif
Alec
LP:
Thank you for clarification smile.gif

We've changed ip address of hostname and set up a PTR for it:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?na...host.com&type=A
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=209.152.171.253

If you will meet some problems with email open a trouble ticket
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here