Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange file in my /home/ folder
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
ChrisP
The filename is just a bunch of strange letters and I can not delete or rename it. CPanel and my FTP programs say that it does not exixst, but since it showed up, my disk usage has increased by about 100MB.

I know you guys are busy right now, so I mainly want to make sure that it isn't something I should be worried about.

Thanks,
Chris
chrispysworld.com
Stanly
I need to know your domain name and exact location of the file under your account to check this.
ChrisP
my domain is
chrispysworld.com

and the file is in the root /home/ directory
ChrisP
in the File Manager it says

/(current directory) for the directory it is in
Serge
Sorry, but I don't see any strange files in /home or home/www.

If you mean folder _system_ it should be there because it is a folder where backup of your account is created. It don't counts to your quota since it belongs to root user.
ChrisP
??????K?­?????¶??j]??????!? ??????«???†????3??i?”?©6??Oc?©F?©?????« ?©?“??~???????™:

is the filename I see in CPanel. It has permissions set to 7777.

So why does CPanel show it and why does my disk usage in CPanel say 197MB and when I click on the disk usage icon, the total of all folders is less than 80MB?

I think I am on server 18 so could this be related to the problems you have been having?

Thanks,
Chris
chrispysworld.com
Serge
I deleted that file and ran quota recalculating. Please don't forget that quota includes all the files, databases and mail. So if your file for example only use 80 mb and database 100 Mb quotas will show 180 Mb.
ChrisP
Thank you,
I actually saw the results just before I checked back here for a reply.
It is really nice to get such prompt replies since I am on the West Coast (USA) but I have very odd work hours so I am online at times that coincide with your guys schedules. smile.gif
Thanks also for the reminder that the databases and Email usage are not included in the stats that the disk usage link shows for my site.
I also noticed that the CPanel main page shows that I have "Unlimited Megabytes" for my Disk Space Availablle. LOL. I know you guys are nice but I assume that will reset with the next quotas update. smile.gif
Thanks for your help with this, especially with all of the problems that you have had to deal with the last few days.
I will add this; even with all of the problems you have had with server 18, you have provided better service and faster customer support than the other webhosts I have had in the past AND with much better prices and disk space/bandwith.

Thank again from a very satisfied customer,

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here