Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When issues are resolved
Hostony Board > General Support > Suggestions
Nihilist
Hey guys,

I myself work for a internet provider for big businesses and know how things can go bad. , and now being involved in the RAID issue on server 18 and 19 Its safe to say I've been on both sides.

I do not envy you when something like this happens (especially since its not predictable ) and my suggestion would be is, a customer would rather know bad news than no news, and also when a issue is resolved they want to know the resaon, in case the issue comes up again they are better prepared.

I am not just specifically talking this incidience, in trouble tickets and support questions in the forum, I see a great deal of "Issue resolved, try it now"

Its great that its resolved, but I think all would appreciate knowing what happened, its better for you this way as well, one can imagine things worst than any truth is.

Thanks
Serge
I understand and share your points.

When we have a greate amount of emergency requests, we have little time to be able to give substantial answers to all customers.

We tried to communicate during the problems in the forums and through trouble tickets with our customers and update the progress.

We had RAID controller failure on server 19 and heating problem on server 18.

As you know we just replaced server 19 with Dual Xeon.

Problem on server 18 looks like was caused by kernel APCI module, but we had first to replace fans and the server hardware completely before we came to the point that it is software problem. We recompiled a kernel without APCI and so far it works without overheating. Hope we diagnosed the problem right this time.
Nihilist
Thanks for the summary on the problem appreicate it

I understand that working to resolve the issues is the top priority, but when you "throw a dog a bone" and in this case i mean a small update on the overall progress. The dog will then be happy (as happy as can be when their service is down) and in turn the dog doesnt bug you and then you are free to work on the problem. This is even more importnat for major outages such as the ones we esperienced over the last day or two.

kind of off topic, thanks to all at ONY who put forth their efforts, it must not have been fun for you
horhey23
It would also be nice to have an overview topic, perhaps one only editable by the admin, that not only gives an overview and updates of the problems, but also and overview of the issues it has raised and how to go about fixing them if you are experiencing them.

For example, I had to dig deep in the message boards to find a post regarding the recent server 18 problems and the move to server 4 and how to access our *new* control panel IP for login.

The recent server 18 issue should have a post that lets users know what happened, what has been done to fix things, where the repair stands, and any issues that have become common trouble tickets for users, such as new control panel IP, sub-domains neededing to be reconfigured, etc. Any workarounds that the users can do themselves would also be helpful, as I don't mind fixing something myself if I can.

I think this would give customers a better feeling that something is being done, and can possibly avoid the support staff of having to answer the same questions over and over in multiple forums.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here