Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some concerns
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
fredbob
I may be interested in purchasing the Windows Special Offer but I am a bit hesitant.

First, from the license agreement before you can register you have the following:

Users may not initiate the following on our servers:
Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons, proxy servers, anonymizers.
What exactly is meant by unattended server-side processes? I plan to use my site to display a working portfolio of projects I've done in the past for potential employers or friends to look at. An example of this is an asp application I created that users can register for and use as a personal remote file server. This script may be run only a couple times a week or so as employers (hopefully) will run it to see what I can do. The term unattended has me confused because I would think all server-side processes could be (and should be able to be) run "unattended"... Would these types of scripts cause my account to be cancelled?

Another question coming from the license agreement:

All fees is due in advance. We will not activate any account that is not yet paid in advance. Customer support fees are billed on an hourly rate and should be prepaid.

I understand that the fees incurred by using the web hosting service, in my case $77.10 for the 6 month agreement, must be paid in advance. But what do you mean by "customer support fees"? Am I to understand that in order to recieve customer service I have to prepay an hourly rate?? Where is this rate listed??

Lastly, I'm curious if customers can expand the features available to them for a fee (or free? tongue.gif ). For example, I may decide to try some python scripting out. I noticed that python is offered in the Unix system but not in the Windows (which I need for the ASP). Would it be possible to add this capability to my domain(s) and how much extra would such a service cost me?

As a side note I noticed to my surprise (dismay) that when signing up for your service the license agreement was editable! I almost shat myself laughing at that idea; you guys may want to fix that. ohmy.gif

Thanks.
Stanly
I've send your request to our department of law. They will respond to all questions about license agreement and AUP.
As soon as they'll do this I'll update you at this post. cool.gif
Serge
asp pages are really attended because they are controlled by ISS.

Unattended processes are daemons, proxy servers, anonymizers- services that constantly runb in memory and act as servers for different services.

Hourly support rates may apply if you need us for example to compile custom module for a kernel or some custome software that is not included in support package.

As for the shared hosting there hardly canbe any hourly rates.

As for python. We can open you a subaccount on unix server. Soemthing like python.site.com and you can use python there. Now we do it for free.

AUP can be editable in some versions of the browser because of the control behaviour. Wjhat browser did you used and what version it was?
jimbob
Thanks for the response.

I am using Internet Explore 6.0.2800.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here