Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CPanel 8 moving
Hostony Board > General > News and Announcements
Stanly
There was a kernel error at the server 8 yesterday.
We've got back the server and fix this issue, but we are not sure that it will be working stable in the future. Therefore we're moving accounts from this server to the new one (more powerful - 4 x Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM).
So there can be some problems with mail/FTP/HTTP/etc of accounts that are located at the server 8 during next 2 days.
splufdaddy
I've missed some email messages, are those emails lost or can I expect to recover them?
Stanly
Unfortunately all of those e-mails will be lost.
Also I can speed up solving your e-mail problem. Just tell me your domain name please (or all of your domain names at this server) and I'll switch DNS records to the new server.
splufdaddy
Domain names I'd like for you to switch over:

scottconnor.com
talentnetwork.us
mominmotion.com

Thanks. It's too bad nothing could be done to store emails that were being sent while this transfer was being made.
Stanly
Done.
I've just swiched them to the new server.
vizion
I already send you a PM but didn't get a reply to that. Can you please do the same for me?

I am in the middle of some very important projects and can't really afford to miss/lose emails.

Thanks

my domains are:

tunnel-vizion.com
renewmedia.nl
renew-media.nl
renew-media.com
Stanly
my domains are:

tunnel-vizion.com
renewmedia.nl
renew-media.nl
renew-media.com

Done.
cornelson
How do I determine if my domain is on this box (sooner.org)? I've lost main connectivity, and I can't get a response from the support line.

thanks
tim
Stanly
Yes, sooner.org was located at this server.
cornelson
any idea how long we'll be off? hours more, half-day, day, or days? I need to know if I need to do something to re-route my mail.

thanks
tim
Stanly
We will do this automatically.
We're planning to restore mail going in 8-10 hours.
lawyers
This is totally unacceptable. It doesn't take 3 days to rebuild a server. Losing e-mails is also unprofessional and unnecessary if the job was done by professionals. I demand my lost e-mails as this is serious damage to my finances and personal life. In my 25 years of professional business I have never seen one change servers and lose e-mails. Totally ridiculous!
Stanly
3 days are needed for DNS records propagating.
Also as I said it is just a single accident.

Thanks you all for your patience.
lawyers
I know what you are doing and it is an adequate job, to say the least. Loss of e-mail traffic results in losses and damages and other servers don't just lose e-mails!
splufdaddy
I'm still not recieving emails. Which means I'm probably still losing emails. I thought you "sped up" this process by moving me over somewhere?
Stanly
All accounts are moved and DNS recordes are switched.
No we need just to wait while all of them will be propagated through all over the world. Then your e-mail will be working correctly again.
vizion
I have the same situation over here. This couldn't come at a worse time for me (can it ever). Haven't been able to read mail for the past 3 days and the fact that all the mails are simply lost is very, very inconvenient.

I am in the middle of some very important projects for my company and my clients are unable to reach me. So now I have to contact my clients and ask them if they have send me emails in the past days, which, frankly, makes me look like a unprofessional newbie.
anyuser
This is obviously a total f*ckup.

All machines go down sometimes, but not having redundancy on a hosting system is simply inexecusable. Couple that with the fact that the quality of postincident support has been extremely low, and it really seems like we should all find a new hoster.

Coincidentally, I was in contact with support last week about authentication errors with the SMTP server, but was told to just 'ignore' them. I wish they hadn't.

mad.gif
cornelson
to the sysadmins:

Your post that "All accounts are moved and DNS recordes are switched." I'm interested in why the ip addresses didn't simply move to the new machines (resulting in no dns updates). What technically compelled you to do this?

thanks
tim
talim
QUOTE(anyuser @ Mar 9 2004, 08:26 AM)
This is obviously a total f*ckup.

All machines go down sometimes, but not having redundancy on a hosting system is simply inexecusable. Couple that with the fact that the quality of postincident support has been extremely low, and it really seems like we should all find a new hoster.

Coincidentally, I was in contact with support last week about authentication errors with the SMTP server, but was told to just 'ignore' them. I wish they hadn't.

mad.gif

dude omg Take a chill Pill This is one of the best places for support and hosting you will proboly find so dont Go tell others to find new host Keep It to your own Buisness
Serge
All accounts were successfully moved to a new servers and DNS records are pointing to a new server for about 14 hours.

verizon
You problems were caused by the fact that secondary nameserver did not updated a zone for your update and we had to force it manually.

anyuser
I don't see any problems with your domain now. It points to the new server. Probably nameserver records are cached with your ISP. You may specify your mailserver as main server ip of the new server 67.15.16.19 and check mail on the new server.

If you mean error horde popups when sending mail. It is should be ignored, because mail is sent without the problem and current version of horde popups that message in error. We cannot patch horde ourselves though there is a small code change because horde files are updated nightly from cpanel server automatically and any changes are erased. Hope cpanel will put a patched horde that addresses exim on RH9 boxes with 2.6 kernel shortly. Mail is sent without a problem when that error popups and that's why you were told to ignore it.

Now about redundancy.
Did you ever think what happens with RAID when RAID controller fails or what happens with cluster when one box get OS corrupted? All redundancy is worthless in that case. We have servers with RAID5 and RAID rebuild for 160 Gb of storage takes about 4 hours, just like OS restore with all settings though copying of 160Gb of data would take another 3-4 hours of time.

We don't believe in RAID panacea and backup even servers with RAID to offsite locations.

With server 8 we had complete OS crash. All system and libraries were erased, no device map, no binaries only customers data in / home and services that were started. We restored everything from backups, restored device map and recompiled kernel without any downtime for the customers. The problem is that when restoring of 2 GB of system files you never can be 100% sure that everything was done correctly. Even after simple kernel recompile there are chances that box won't boot up, not talking about manual restore of the whole os.

We decided not to risk and not to restart any services or reboot the box because we were not 100% sure that box will boot up. If box won't boot up we would have to reformat the drive restore system from CD and restore customers data from backup. Even in case system boots up correctly there would be still some chances that system might be unstable.

Complete system restore is a 5-8 hours of total downtime for all customers on the server. The way we chose to solve the problem allowed us to transfer major part of customers without downtime while a small percentage of people had problems only with mail. All our actions were driven to reduce downtime for the customers.

Thanks for your patience and support.
tnfg
Per e-mail re: Server 8 relocation, cPanel was now located at https://67.15.16.19:2083

Unfortunately, receiving the following error : "Invalid License File"

Also, regarding the change of IP's -- no idea, what, if anything I have to do (or where, or by what means). Please explain, or check, or modify as neccessary?

domain name : [thenorthfaceguy.com]
account default e-mail : [dcptak+thenorthfaceguy.com] (replace + with @)
alt contact : [got_a_guinness+yahoo.com] (replace + with @)

**some** (but not all) mail is being delivered for domain e-mail addresses (although it does not appear to be sending successfully)

If a ticket is required, pls. point to where I can make a submission. Thx.
tnfg
Okay cPanel liscence thing looks like not happening anymore -- a 20 minute period had the error message repeatedly.

That brings me back to IP -- what now?

thx
Vanya
It's temporary dns issue concerned with transfer. It will be fixed in a few hours.
Linear Helix
At the moment, some of my site visitors are being shown the old server and some are being shown the new server. This has resulted in my forum branching off such that I'll have to do a lot of work to synchronize it again, since people are posting things on one server that don't show up on the other.

But that's no big deal to me. However, is this double server problem related to the DNS, and will it fix itself over the next couple of days?
Vanya
Yes, that's right.
anyuser
I understand your points Serge, but in my case email has been down for 5 days. And my repeated requests for information have been met with incongruous replies. Every response so far has been: "its fixed and should be working in a couple of hours".

My DNS is propogated, but all mail sent to my accounts 'disappears', without return or error message. And now support.hostony.com is timing out and no one is answering on the ICQ network, so that the only way I have of trying to get this fixed is by making forum posts.
Vanya
We're 24/7 on ICQ and trouble ticket system is up and running.
iluminada
my incoming mail for iluminada.com has been down all day today (3/12). Is this related to this issue?
Vanya
E-mail looks normal.
Open a ticket please if you have a problem with it. We'll fix it than.
fmbii
HI,
My domains and emails have been down for several hours. I was wondering if there was some maintenance that is being conducted, and for how long?
thanks
fmbiii
Vanya
fmbii:
Please open a ticket on this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here