Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Internet Radio
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Bluefin221
Another one for you guys - I'm becoming extremly interested in streaming my own Radio station through the server, do any of you guys have information on it - basically I only have standard UK broadband and I imagine it would be hammered by streaming from it, is it possible to do it from my own server?
Vanya
Tell us what software you're going to use for that and we'll tell you whether you can use it on our server or to buy a didicated or vps.
Bluefin221
I have just basically added a module to my PHPnuke that allows you to add mp3 playlists, its also gives you the option to have a shoutcast which works like an FM radio station - basically you choose the playlist and stream the playlist (or shourcast it) I will add a link to here as it gives more detail than I possibly could.

http://www.jinzora.org/modules/jinzora/doc...houtcasting.php
Stanly
As I can see from this install instruction, this software need a standalone port to stream media. To use this scritp you need to purchase a virtual dedicated server, 'cause you can't do something like this at shared hosting.

You can see all of our prices for all of our virtual servers here
dastafarin
Not trying to go against Hostony in anyway as I love them, but your best bet is to get a host that is dedicated to just internet radio. They provide you with everything you need and you pay based on your bitrate and how many users you want to be allowed on the radio at one time.

I used to use http://fast-serv.com and it worked fine for me, was cheap too. If you don't have a huge following to start out with, I would suggest 56k-92k bitrate with a 10 user limit.
Vanya
We'll consider this...
Bluefin221
Yeah it seemed excessive getting a whole dedicated server when I would only maybe have 30 listeners max at anyone time.

I'm not fully clued up on this where does the music stream from is it your PC? and how much are we actually talking? per month. At this point I have between 100 - 200 visitors a day but I know for a fact that if I start streaming music that will more than double. I checked out the site you recommended and it seems fair enough still un-sure information wise though as I have never done anything like this before.

Would be great if hostony actually did a small package like this as I would certainly look to take it up.
Bluefin221
Whats the thoughts on hostont streaming themselves? I would obviously pay for the stream but I have plenty of Bandwidth with the service you have provided and I'm seriously interested in this.

I have been speaking to the people involved at the link above and they seem helpful enough although I'm struggling to understand some of whats involved. I have a feeling this would be much easier if my service provider could actually do this.

Would appreciate any feedback from the staff.
Stanly
I can't decide such kind of questions 'cause I'm just a member of the Support Team. But I forward your request to our billing department. smile.gif

They'll respond soon.
Bluefin221
Thanks Stanley although people are complaining about servers down and stuff I must say that you service has been excellent when the sites are down the support and speed of it are second to none. I'm pretty happy with my service anyway.

Looking forward to their response.
McMurtrey
I would be interested in this service too!
Have some clients that will need audio streaming.
thanks
Bluefin221
Has their been a response on this - as I say I'm keen on this and would appreciate the feedback regarding it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here