Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Idea how I can track traffic by domain
Hostony Board > General > Anything and Everything
darcyelliott
Hey....

We are looking at doing some billboard advertising and want to track how well this is working to see if we are getting enough hits on our site to determine if this is a source of advertising we wish to continue.

I have one site where I have a main domain and I have about 6 others pointed/parked to it using different extensions. The thought was that we could use one of the parked domains on the billboard add, and that somehow we could track all the users that entered that into thier browsers, and therefore know if the billboard campaign was working.

Does anyone have any suggestions of tools to be used, or if this can even be done using a parked domain (will I have to unpark it and set up a redirect, or something), or any other tips/tricks I might use... or would it even be that hard to write a little app that will scan what the user entered to get to the site and record that?

Thanks in advance
Darce (big time newby)
Vanya
I guess you meant addon domains, not parked. Parked domain are just an alias of your main.
And do you need to log billboard users or just to log every visitor(you view them from stats page)?
darcyelliott
We are looking to log users that have found out about us via the billboard. This way we know if our advertising budget is being spent wisely.

I am sorry if I am not making any sense....

Right now we have a .ca as our main domain for our account. We have the same name but as .com,.net and .org registered and parked.

All of our e-mail addresses end in .com and so far the url with .com has been mentioned in a Tv Spot and linked on a page already. I would like to be able to throw our url with the .org or the .net or even the .ca on the billboard and see what sort of response we get from them...

I guess my real question is what is an addon domain and what can I do with it?
Vanya
Addon domain is a separate domain under your account. It have it's own content, mail accounts, ftp accounts, it's stats.
darcyelliott
OK then I am not looking to do anything with add on domains...

I am just looking for a tool that will allow me to track then number of new hits that come from using a particular parked domain.... is this possible.....are there any tools out there that would do this for me.

Thanks
unsure.gif Darce
Stanly
Stats systems are present at your Control Panel.
You can access them via gount to your Panel -> Web / FTP Stats
Danimal
When a visitor goes to your site through a parked domain, it shows as one of your referrers. So what you'd do is check your stats under the main domain and then check the referrers. It will show exactly how many hits that parked domain has registered.
Vanya
Sorry, there is no separate stats for parked domains, there is just for addons.
darcyelliott
Thanks for your help....

Darce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here