Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kernel upgrades
Hostony Board > General > News and Announcements
Alec
Linux 2.6.3 is a big step for Linux on enterprise servers as well as for embedded systems. The testing effort on the 2.6.3 kernel using Web servers and application servers as the test workload has been much more extensive than on the 2.4 kernel.
We decided to upgrade kernel on all our Linux servers. It may cause a short downtime of the server during reboot. We'll proceed it in non-bussiness time and will keep you informed about upgrade status every day.
We are planning to upgrade the servers during whole next week. The first server will be done tomorrow. We'll warn about upgrade time and host in this topic.
Serge
The first sever on the list is Cpanel 11. Now weare finishing with kernel compilation and will be rebooting it in about 2 hours.
g0dswilll
how do i know what server number my sites are on?

will
morphosic.com
Stanly
Your domain name at the Server 16
Serge
Today we are installing new kernel on server 14.
Serge
Server 8 upgraded to 2.6.3 without problems.

Servers 10, 16,17,18 are on the way.
jchrastina
server10
Last Reboot 7days, 34min
Kernel Version 2.4.20-28.7smp

It doesn't look like server10 has changed. When do expect this to happen? Weekends are not a good time for my websites to be down.

Also, /usr is at 97% full. It was at 93% yesterday. What happens at 100% full?

Thanks.
Alec
Now partitions allocation is

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2 1.4G 893M 507M 64% /
/dev/hda1 45M 14M 29M 33% /boot
/dev/hda8 43G 22G 19G 53% /backup
none 503M 0 503M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda7 1.4G 34M 1.3G 3% /tmp
/dev/hda6 3.8G 2.9G 813M 79% /usr
/dev/hda5 3.8G 2.4G 1.2G 66% /var
/dev/hdc1 55G 46G 7.0G 87% /home
Alec
Now we are reconfiguring server 17 and will keep you informed about status
Serge
Server 10 will be probably the last we'll touch. The problem is it will first require upgrade to RH9 in order to have required versions of compilers and kernel utilities to be installed.

On Sunday we'll be working on server 11, 14, 15. We'll be working through the whole day, because configuration process takes hours to complete and it is hard to get exact time when server will be rebooted with new kernel.
N. Veryha
has server 7 been done alread?

Also, does the new kernel handle larger loads better? (ie large mySQL databases)
Stanly
There no more server 7.
All accounts from this server were copied to the new one and it is was canceled 'cause it was very old smile.gif
The new server is more powerful.
Serge
N. Veryha accounts from the server 7 were copied to server 18. and that server was upgraded last night to 2.6.3 kernel.

New kernel is optimized for performance and can process 10 times more processes per second. New kernel architecture is not a bottleneck anymore.

So far we see decreases of server load in about 1.5, 2 times.
And even now when server performes weekly backup and intensively uses CPU to archieve and transmit data via secure ssh connection to offsite location load of 5.00 doen't affect server performance.

Load numbers are actually number of processes waiting to be processed by CPU.
So\ince new kernel dispatches them 10 times faster 5.00 is theoratically ecuals .50 load on the 2.4 kernel.s that's why it is not effect server performance.
Serge
Server 11, 14, 15 were installed without long downtime. Just coule reboots 2-5 minutes each.

We'll be working on server 10 tomorrow. Will take some time since we'll have to upgrade it to RH9 first.
jchrastina
Any idea what time server 10 will START, so I can alert MY clients?
Thanks.
Stanly
We're not working at this server today. We will do this only at next weekend (it is not-business time).
You can use server the whole week and don't be worry about it smile.gif
jchrastina
Thanks.
Alexandre
Server 10 works fine.
This is server uptime:
uptime
5:54pm up 10 days, 2:31, 2 users, load average: 1.33, 1.89, 1.79
atariarchive
Hello,
My site atariarchive.com, has had a few difficulties over the past couple of days some slight downtime for a few hours, but today is has been offline for quite sometime just wondered whether it was to do with the kernal upgrades?

Thanks
Vanya
atariarchive
Nope, no downtime recenly.
Open a trouble ticket if you won't be able to access it.
Rastus
Are there upgrades being done today?
Alexandre
No, we have upgraded today nothing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here